Canning help

momofmattJuly 17, 2012

The CUKES and beets have taken over my world! Today I planned to can pickles and pickled beets when I pulled out my canner and reread the instructions it said not to use on a glass top stove. Off to the stove site which says to ONLY use a flat bottomed canner. Can I use jar rings to cover bottom of a stock pot to make a rack. The canner rack is about 1/2 inch too wide to work, and this is the only idea I have been able yo come with.

I like the fairly new range a little less.LOL

Thanks so much for any help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lindac

Jar rings to keep the jars off the bottom of the pot....and a pot large enough to cover the jars by....think it's 2 inches.

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 1:46PM
klseiverd

Have no real knowledge of glass top stoves. But canning cukes & beets (pickled) is one of the easier things to do. Saw somewhere recently where someone made a LONG "snake" of scrunched up foil and fashioned a "rack" to set jars on.

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 3:47PM
momofmatt

Thanks so much to both of you.
I haven't canned in years and the decided that I was making rocket science of the jar ring rack thing. The first batch of b and b pickles are finished and it worked a charm. Never Would have thought of the foil.....
From what I have read today you MUST use a flat bottom canner on any electric stove.

Bookmark   July 17, 2012 at 4:18PM
annie1992

Well, I'm too late to help but I've seen canning rings wired together with twist ties as a rack, so I know it works. I canned for years with a dish towel in the bottom of a stock pot in lieu of a real canner or rack.

Happy Canning!

Annie

Bookmark   July 18, 2012 at 12:10AM
More Discussions
What to do with fermented green tomaotes?
We have more than a lifetime's worth of fermented green...
matthias_lang
BISCUITS
Just made these biscuits, but felt they weren't worth...
Robert Givens
What's For Dinner #337
Annie, you and Elery are doing a wonderful job on the...
ann_t
Substitutions that turned out better than the "real thing?"
Hi, all. The other day I wanted one of my "go-to"...
kiwigem
Feels like the longest winter ever- anyone else dying for ramps?
Ok, so I can't stop thinking about ramp season. Maybe...
kiwigem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™