Landscape lighting problem

rg8043April 24, 2013

I have a focus low voltage lighting system. All of a sudden, lights started burning out. If this helps, at first I noticed a couple of burned out bulbs and I had to go out of town. When I returned a few days later, several other bulbs stopped working, they burned out starting from the point furthest from the transformer. I checked each burned out light fixture with a volt meter and the fixtures have power.

I can't understand why the bulbs are burning out. I don't have a clue as to where to start to determine the cause. Any suggestion would be most appreciated.

Rob

I

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
drewguy

If one bulb burns out, it increases the voltage to the others, and may cause them to burn out as well.

Bookmark   April 25, 2013 at 4:02PM
rg8043

Before I purchase several new bulbs, does anyone know if there is some way to test the system to determine if a burned out light caused my problem?

Thank You

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 6:59PM
dodge59

what is the voltage rating of the bulbs and what was the voltage you measured when you checked the fixtures for power?

Are they halogen lights?, If so, be sure not to handle them with bare fingers, and if they were halogens, I would try to find a Xenon substitute, they last 5 times longer and do not get as hot.

Gary

Bookmark   April 30, 2013 at 10:58PM
More Discussions
Outdoor pendant lights for tree
I'm looking to recreate something like this installation...
jamescmeehan
recessed lighting suggestions
I'm having recessed lights installed in two rooms this...
evanderleeuw
Pendant help
Hello, Does anyone know where I can buy these lovely...
Nicole Falla
Make an impact with some LED!
I thought I would share this with everyone. We have...
Matthew Siegler
Do LED lights put out enough light
I am looking at Moooi Raimond chandeliers. According...
mrsargent
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™