Lighting and migraines

lafaciaMarch 12, 2013

Putting recessed lighting in new kitchen. I'm extremely sensitive to light. Have to wear sunglasses at the grocery store, Target, the mall...even then I have a short window of time before I develop a migraine. I'm nervous about choosing the wrong type of lighting...LED or something else? Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
williamsem

Well, I know little about types of lighting, but seems like whatever you get should have a diffuser and be dimmable. Try seeking out a local lighting specialty store. Maybe more fixtures with lower output vs few powerful fixtures?

Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 4:36PM
David

If you've been diagnosed with Irien Syndrome, CFL and other fluorescent lighting should be avoided.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 10:43AM
dancingsams

Definitely AVOID CFL! Flourescents normally flicker at about 60 cycles, which causes migraines in a few of us (me included!) Even the ones that claim to be flicker free give me headaches!

LED is excellent - no flicker. Halogen can also be good. Incandescent is totally safe for you. Beware of poor dimming. Some dimmers or fixtures being dimmed can cause flicker.

There are many new LED bulbs that have beautiful light, available in different spectrums of color. Look for the color temp - bright white has a very high number (4000), and warm white is a lower number (2800 ish).

Diffusers will not help you.

In my office, they actually installed a movie lighting fixture - pure LED - that has excellent light and is quite small. Be aware, they are not cheap, but quality LEDs will last for years. We have 3 mini pendants (1.5 watts each) made by Bruck that we leave on 24/7.

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 4:44PM
More Discussions
Dining Room Lighting - Pendant too large?
I would like to remove my 6-globe chandelier and replace...
cubby325
Light fixtures for cove lighting
Greetings, I am constructing cove lighting in a small...
impster
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
Davidtay/Others - Recommended efficient T8 bulbs?
I'm hoping that davidtay will see this but would welcome...
oldbat2be
linen lighting shades
do linen shades hold up well in bathrooms?
wldougall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™