Need a low maintenance sturdy top loader self-repairable

lissainflagOctober 7, 2012

Would appreciate any advice on choosing a top-loading washer which is simple, sturdy, and that I can repair and maintain myself without calling in a repair person. The washer need only have basic controls, hot water washes, and be large enough for a comforter. The thread on SpeedQueen interested me, but I'm not sure if it comes with a manual that allows me to repair it (most manuals only do basic troubleshooting).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Cavimum

There is a brand called Staber that might be what you are looking for. I seem to remember reading some discussions about DIY repairs on these, but it was so long ago . . .
You can use the Search function for this forum, put the word in, and see all the topics where it has been discussed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Staber web site

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 9:00AM
sarakay

For the Speed Queen model I bought, the AWN412, there is a parts manual available on the SQ website. Has exploded views of the different portions of the machine, and the parts are labelled.

The customer service people at Speed Queen are very helpful; I emailed them with questions before the purchase and they got back to me right away. Maybe you could ask them about the availability of repair manuals.

I have had my SQ top loader for a few weeks and am very happy with it. It's built like a tank.

Here is a link that might be useful: Speed Queen support page

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 3:06PM
lissainflag

Thanks cavimum and sarakay. I have accessed both those sites now and have also been reading owner reviews. I have pretty much decided against the staber as the quality of their customer service seems erratic in customer reviews. Also they do not appear to have a comprehensive owners manual available though I will contact them for verification. Speed queen is looking like a strong possibility though I need to do further research on how often sq top loaders break down. I really need a machine that just does not break down so I can keep up on the wash for my highly allergic family and not have to clean down my house after the department come in with Cologne or cigarette smoke.

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 7:44PM
lissainflag

Correction. I meant repairmen. not sure how that was changed to department.

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 7:48PM
whirlpool_trainee

There are plenty of people that will help you should your TL ever break down. Just try forums like this or automaticwasher.org. I vote for Speed Queen.

Here is a link that might be useful: and be large enough for a comforter

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 9:07PM
totsuka

When you narrow down your choices check out the prices for the various parts for the different makes/mfg. Sometimes the parts are the same for different companies but sometimes they are not and you pay more for a certain brand. Just a thought...

Bookmark   November 5, 2012 at 7:45PM
More Discussions
Fisher and Paykel GWL11 Top Loading Washer
My GWL11 Top loading washer has had nothing but problems!...
jessicacbrandt
Speed Queen Front Load AFN50 Washer Review - Long Post
I have been lurking here for a while as one of many...
sandiego_steve
List price for new Speed Queens?
Looking at the new front loaders like everyone else...
jormydog
How to RePosition Side by Side Washer & Dryer to Stackable position?
Greetings! We are moving into a home where the only...
gem57
Mystery holes in cotton knits
My husband and I have been perplexed for over a year...
nicoletouk
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™