Replacing 12 inch commercial recessed can lighting

ctilleyMarch 17, 2013

I recently purchased a home that was built in the mid 1970's. The family that built the home decided to go with a round commercial style recessed can light where the bulb is completely enclosed behind a glass lens. The lens assembly is hinged to provide access to the underlying bulb. The hole in the drywalled ceiling is just shy under 12 inches in diameter!!! Tearing down the drywall is not an option because there are around 20 of these throughout the home. What are my options in replacing these fixtures with a 6 inch can or similar? What are my options at this point?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Since the hole is about 1' in diameter, you could install new work 6" cans and have an appropriately sized drywall patch made to fill in the space.

    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 11:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You instal patches in the existing drywall.

    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 12:26PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I have the same issue. Does anyone make a replacement trim that large or that has a sufficient border piece?

    Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 3:55PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Has Anything Changed In Recessed LCD Lighting Since 2012?!?
GW, Hello everyone! Just wanted to say that this is...
dining area lighting dilemma
We are building our retirement home, and have a large...
Pixi Lighting
Has anyone used the pixi lighting yet? It seems like...
Light fixtures for cove lighting
Greetings, I am constructing cove lighting in a small...
What should be dimmable in my kitchen?
We are doing a kitchen renovation, and like most new...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™