M40L24DC Transformer for 12V LEDs?

kellydebsMarch 23, 2011

I started to tackle my under cabinet lighting project by visiting the local lighting supply store. After getting a written price quote from them... I found I can save over $300 by ordering off the internet.

On the written quote the local lighting store gave me... they list the M40L24DC Magnitude transformer to use with these bulbs ( http://www.homecenter.com/ProductDetails.asp?SID=259611 ). I'll be using approx. 26 of these bulbs. Appears to me these are 12W bulbs. My question is --> Shouldn't I be using the M40L12DC instead of the M40L24DC?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fredinva

kellydebs,
I believe you are correct, you need a 12V tranformer/driver.
But, before you get the 40 watt transformer, determine if it's enough wattage for your 26 LEDs.
I didn't see any specs for your seleceted LEDs.

fred

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 9:53PM
kellydebs

Thanks fredinva - Now it looks like I might go with a different bulb/lamp... as it appears "Sea Gull" is discontinuing this product? Kinda makes me think I should stay away from them and search for whatever the "replacement" is. FWIW... I did just read on another site ( http://www.plumbingandlightingfixtures.com/96214S-12.html ) that the bulbs are rated at (0.6w 24v). Weird that the part number has a "12" in it instead of a "24"! lol

Bookmark   March 23, 2011 at 10:05PM
fredinva

Dang, those LEDs are too expensive !! you can find something cheaper.
Have you thought about led strips? 5050 led strips put out a good bit of light. Do a search for led 5050 strips and also led panels. Most all leds, albeit Crees, are made in China. You'll find alot on ebay.

fred

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 10:31PM
More Discussions
linen lighting shades
do linen shades hold up well in bathrooms?
wldougall
Outdoor pendant lights for tree
I'm looking to recreate something like this installation...
jamescmeehan
Bulkhead pots in teeny bathroom
I'm so not a lighting expert! What's the forum members'...
Studio Design
Questions re: installing a linear light fixture with a sloped ceiling
I'm interested in a chandelier from the Kichler Triad...
valpogal47
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™