getting shocks from old ceiling light

jimyyzMarch 6, 2010

i was installing an antique ceiling light which has 4 up lights and 4 down lights. One pair (i.e. one up and one down) doesn't work. When I tried tightening the two bulbs, thinking that perhaps they weren't fully seated, I got a shock. (Note: All of the bulbs were hard to get into the sockets, probably because it's a very old fixture. I had to turn them to the point where i was worried about breaking the bulb.)

I'm guessing there is a short or lose wire somewhere??

Can anyone suggest how to go about checking/fixing it and what I should be looking for? Do i just need to take apart and check that one socket for a lose wire?

Believe it or not, I just spent $200 at a specialty lighting shop to check the fixture and get it ready for hanging. You think they would have checked it too -- which they claim they did. But anyway, it's too much work to take it down and back to the store.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dim4fun

It's important that fixture polarity be correct. The threaded part you can come into contact with as you screw in a lamp is the grounded neutral and small center contact point is the hot. Newer factory made chandeliers should all be consistent and have a identifier on the cord to show which is hot and neutral. Rewired chandeliers don't always have this right and some sockets may be one way, some the other. Electricians test each one.

Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 4:23PM
youmust

They might have wired it assuming your wire colors in the wall are correct, which they may not be.
You should check with an incand. test lamp that it fully lights when wired between the black wire in the wall and a "known good ground" [probably a cold water pipe].

Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 6:24PM
jimyyz

Correct me if I'm wrong but since the other lights in the chandelier work fine it can't be the wires in the box.

I'll test the socket and report back.

Thanks

Bookmark   March 10, 2010 at 11:28PM
More Discussions
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
Recessed Lighting Layout for Kitchen
Hi, everyone. I know this is asked all the time, but...
firefox15
Artwork lighting with recessed cans
I have 6" recessed can lights throughout my house....
sch9171
Entry light for awkward design
What should we do for a light at the front door? It...
sakami
Rosette on slanted dining room ceiling?
Moved into a resale which has a dining room fixture...
Barb P
Sponsored Products
Ango | Three Stone Floor Lamp
YLighting
Diner Semi-Flushmount by Hudson Valley Lighting
$236.00 | Lumens
Indoor Ceiling Fans: Yosemite Home Decor Spectrum Collection 42 in. Indoor Yello
Home Depot
Designers Fountain 83801 Del Ray Wall Sconce in Flemish Bronze Finish - 83801-FB
$105.50 | Hayneedle
Castlewick 3-light Mini Chandelier
$329.00 | FRONTGATE
Capital Lighting Quinn Traditional Wall Sconce
1800Lighting
Georgia Bulldogs Fold Flat Tailgate Supply Box
$29.99 | zulily
Kichler Hendrik Chrome Bath 2-Light
PLFixtures
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™