Recessed Lighting

tgd2008March 29, 2009

I'm trying to figure out lighting for my old standard size bathroom (approx 8 x 10). The vanity area will be 42" with two tall cabinets on each side and a wood valance between. I'm planning on sconces to the side of the mirror but maybe additional lighting overhead.

I've always hated recessed lighting as it's terribly unflattering and casts bright, glaring focused beams in some areas (maybe what they call hot spots?). But, I'm hoping there are options to get around this. Using a vanity bar light over the mirror won't look right. Maybe one with a lens or a wall wash to bounce light off the back wall instead would work? Has anyone experienced either of those?

Was also considering a simple fluorescent tube light along the top but am afraid I'd hate the light color.

It's terribly hard to set this up without knowing all the different bulbs, their colors, and the amounts of light. What I do know is lighting is often so terrible, harsh, or just not adequate.

Now I've remembered all these incandescents are going to be banned. I can't afford to redo everything in a few more years.

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
housavvy

You could do xenon under cabinet lights behind the wood valence, and I think it would look really nice below the two side cabinets too. Xenon gives a good color that makes people look good and healthy sometimes the fluorescent can be a little too blue.

Bookmark   April 14, 2009 at 6:53PM
More Discussions
Make an impact with some LED!
I thought I would share this with everyone. We have...
Matthew Siegler
Sylvania vs. EcoSmart retrofit
I have seen these two brands compared many times with...
linae
MBR ceiling light or fan
Hi all, We have a farmhouse/colonial that was built...
Anthony
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
linen lighting shades
do linen shades hold up well in bathrooms?
wldougall
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™