Pendant lights 8 foot ceiling Yes or No

scubatedMarch 25, 2008

I planned on installing pendants over my penninsula but my KD says they would look too short with 8 foot ceilings and doesn't recommend I do that.

If not then do I just do recessed only or mix in some decorative flush or semi flush lighting instead?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
scubated

btt in case anyone else wants to weigh in. I need to narrow down my lighting plan really soon.

Bookmark   May 28, 2008 at 7:10PM
svwillow1

We have pendants over our penninsula with an 8' cieling. Looks great no problems. Originally planed to use recessed, but these look much better and give definition to the area.

Bookmark   May 29, 2008 at 11:52AM
scubated

That is what I think as well. It will be great to highlight those areas. I am pretty sure I am going to do it. Anyone want to post pictures of yours.

Bookmark   May 29, 2008 at 12:51PM
lightingken

Good choice, I particularly like the ambiance that pendants offer over recessed lighting.
You will love it
ken

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 2:32PM
lightguy

I have pendant lights in my 8' high hallway. They just hang off of 5" cords. It turned out really well... actually got the idea from my parents.

Bookmark   May 31, 2008 at 4:01PM
scubated

Thanks everyone for your imput. We are going with some pendants over our penninsula. The woman at the lighting store suggested we get smaller ones that hang by a cord only not the ones that hang off a rod. She said the look is visually lighter that way.

Bookmark   June 8, 2008 at 6:41PM
marjoriest

We are planning to have 2 pendant lights installed over a peninsula in our new kitchen and we too have 8' ceilings. Question, how far down should they drop from the ceiling? I found this light I like, but it says it has a 52" rod. This seems far too long for my space. What is the right size and would this one work?

Here is a link that might be useful: Ballard Ramsey Pendant light

Bookmark   June 28, 2010 at 2:32PM
newyorking

Marjoriest, not sure if this is late but I would suggest that you and your DH stand in that area - the pendant should hang one inch above the tallest ones head. You don't want to hit your head on the pendant each time you stand or bend over the island. I put mine over the dining table 24" inches below the ceiling - the 24" includes the pendant itself and the track. I am planning to do the same for my island. Here are links to my pendants when the lights are on and off:

http://s767.photobucket.com/albums/xx311/Newyorking_ny/Kitchen/?action=view&current=256.jpg
http://s767.photobucket.com/albums/xx311/Newyorking_ny/Kitchen/?action=view&current=269.jpg

Bookmark   July 4, 2010 at 2:59PM
newyorking

Am posting the pics here:

Bookmark   July 4, 2010 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
What size fixture for bathroom lighting?
I'm choosing overhead bathroom lighting for a guest...
magsmayers
Pixi Lighting
Has anyone used the pixi lighting yet? It seems like...
stlblufan
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
MBR ceiling light or fan
Hi all, We have a farmhouse/colonial that was built...
Anthony
Pendant help
Hello, Does anyone know where I can buy these lovely...
Nicole Falla
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™