watts? foot-candles? Or simply: bright enough pendant?

fourambluesMarch 5, 2012

I've picked out a set of 3 pendants that will be spaced about 30" apart (from center) over my island, probably at about 36" over the surface, which is reflective quartz. I want as little visual obstruction here as possible, so have picked a clear glass shade, thus they are essentially omnidirectional. Each pendant takes one 60w A19 bulb. My architect says I need about 50-70 foot-candles for effective task lighting. The other task lighting will be cr4s, about 4ft behind me as I prep. The specs on my pendants say nothing about foot-candles. I just want to know if 3 essentially exposed 60w bulbs will give me good task lighting. (Also note that I don't want to be blinded by the reflection off the quartz.) TIA for any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

It depends on the bulbs installed. A standard A19 60W incandescent provides ~ 800 lumens.

There is a conversion formula from lumens to foot-candles which also takes into account the distance between the source and destination.

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 6:25PM
David

An easier approach which I use is to compute how many relatively diffuse light sources are required to achieve a desired lighting level in lumens per sq ft. For a work area like the kitchen ~ 35 lumens per sq ft.

Assuming relatively standard heights of ~ 8' to 10' ceilings, the formula works reasonably well.

Bookmark   March 5, 2012 at 8:23PM
fouramblues

Thanks again, davidtay! The average lighting in my kitchen will be ample without the pendants. So it's time to go back to the lighting store and see in practice, rather than theory, what I feel is good task lighting.

Bookmark   March 6, 2012 at 8:22AM
More Discussions
MBR ceiling light or fan
Hi all, We have a farmhouse/colonial that was built...
Anthony
What should be dimmable in my kitchen?
We are doing a kitchen renovation, and like most new...
progressnerd
Artwork lighting with recessed cans
I have 6" recessed can lights throughout my house....
sch9171
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
dining area lighting dilemma
We are building our retirement home, and have a large...
golfergirl29
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™