depth of washer and dryer

cedar32September 7, 2009

I'm trying to plan the dimensions of our laundry room.... we don't have a lot room to spare so I'm try to determine what the smallest size is I can plan for this room. I'd like to know how deep I'll need to plan for a washer and dryer... I think it may be 30 inches... but not sure that will be enough. Any suggestions would be a help.... thanks very much. If you could also let me know what brand washer and dryer take up the room you note, that would be great! Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brutuses

If you go on the Sears website you can search the various brands and all the specifications for each.

Bookmark   September 7, 2009 at 11:08PM
steve_a

You can find dimensions for various machines online, as brutuses says. However, if you're going to get a vented dryer (most common type), be aware that you will probably need to add a significant amount of space behind the dryer for the vent hose, unless it can be vented out the side (and if side-venting makes sense for you). I'd say that adding 6" at the rear for the vent hose is probably safe, but look at the installation instructions for the machines you're interested in. Of course compact (24") machines will also have less depth, but they do not have the load capacity of full-size machines. The largest-capacity top-loading dryers have a bump-out on the back that adds to depth; however this should be included in published dimensions. I don't know how front-loaders compare with top-loaders in depth, that's easily checked.

Bookmark   September 8, 2009 at 9:34AM
almax881

The depth of most toploaders is 30 to 32 inches. The LG models (2101) is the smallest full size model that I know of in depth. It's 29.75 inches. But, it's depth with the door open is 51 inches, which is the standard depth with the door open for most top loaders.

steve is right. You should add about 5 to 6 inches to the dryer depth for the exhaust venting. For dryers that match the top loaders, the depth would be the same as the toploader (30 to 32 inches). I think the conventional dryers are smaller. You could cut the 5 to 6 inches down though by using a periscope vent.

The Best Buy website lets you filter the washer and dryers by depth, too. I haven't been on the Sears site.

Good luck.

PS: I only know all of this because I was looking for my washer/dryer options with a small space as well.

Bookmark   September 9, 2009 at 12:55AM
almax881

Sorry, I said "toploaders" in the above post. I meant "front loaders."

Bookmark   September 18, 2009 at 4:57PM
More Discussions
Dark color spots on clothes after washing/drying
I have been having having this issue for months now...
tylerr27
Electrolux 60 Series #3
Well let this be a fyi. People do not ever purchase...
Mark
Speed Queen Front Load AFN50 Washer Review - Long Post
I have been lurking here for a while as one of many...
sandiego_steve
Do you put powder detergent in dispenser in front loader?
I finally finished the big bottle of liquid detergent...
marti8a
The perfect appliance? (survey)
Hi everyone! Whether for kitchen, laundry appliances...
hainnovation
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™