fluorescent light kithen

laurenjayMarch 23, 2013

I have a fluorescent fixture in my kitchen with 2 T8 48" neutral white tubes. It is a little bit too bright. If I take one bulb out only one side of the fixture is illuminated and it doesn't look right. I was thinking of replacing the fixture with something smaller but don't want a drastic reduction in light. I have a long galley kitchen so I'm thinking I need a rectangle shape fixture. Any suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SparklingWater

I got a bad shock once from a fluorescent socket where the bulb was missing and I didn't know, so beware.

As to rectangular fixtures, there are some very cool looking modern incandescent fixtures of large rectangular shape with small bulbs or circles, or other decorative items hanging down from them. Some of them are not flush or semi flush but hang from four sides like a chandelier.

You might search for online lighting sources or go to houzz.com and search contemporary lights in kitchens. Good luck.

Bookmark   March 24, 2013 at 10:23PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ionized_gw

You can replace the existing ballast with a "low ballast factor" ballast. That will lower light output by about 20%. You can install lower power lamps and, maybe, bet a similar reduction.

Be careful of combining low output lamps with low ballast factor ballasts. Some combinations will not work well. Low temperature performance is a particular problem, but not usually in a kitchen. Be careful about how the current luminaire is wired. If is has instant-start ballasts, you have to stick with instant-start or get new sockets for programmed-start ballasts.ÃÂ I'd do that latter in a residential kitchen.

There is a table in this document with examples of both substitutions:

http://www.gelighting.com/LightingWeb/na/images/66124_PS_Ballasts_T8_Fluorescent_Lamps_Brochure_tcm201-21120.pdf

Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 2:56PM
More Discussions
T24 compliant, 4" LED recessed light options
We are looking for a sub $100 4" LED recessed...
pinkybee83
Artwork lighting with recessed cans
I have 6" recessed can lights throughout my house....
sch9171
Anyone using regular white bulbs in a clear glass fixture?
The light fixture my mom and I like best so far for...
Robyn Hoke
Pendant light shades
Hi! New to the forum- don't know what took me so many...
chelseahasrouni
Recessed Lighting Layout for Kitchen
Hi, everyone. I know this is asked all the time, but...
firefox15
Sponsored Products
Savoy House Maremma Transitional Chandelier
1800Lighting
Asteria Blue Transparent Lamp
$49.99 | zulily
Bocci | 14.1m Single Pendant Mini
$350.00 | YLighting
Coalesse | Emu Ivy Pouf
YLiving.com
Sea Gull Lighting Academy 1-Light Small Semi-Flush Mount - 11.5W in. Brushed Nic
$135.30 | Hayneedle
Veil Latte Glass Satin Nickel LED Tech Lighting Mini Pendant
Euro Style Lighting
Hand Painted Black Finish Wood Urn Table Lamp With Bell Shade
ParrotUncle
Turquoise Bold Stripe Ovo Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™