Removing Dimmer Switch for Ceiling Fan/Light

ceburyMarch 20, 2011

Trying to get confirmation before I rip this out:

Can I replace my dimmer switch that feeds the OH light fixture on my ceiling fan with a simple on/off switch, then replace the incandescent with basic CFLs?

The dimmer is a standard non-illuminated slide switch, the fan speed is wired separately and nothing is 3-way.

We never use the dimming feature and the fan has 4x100 watt bulbs located on high ceiling. Therefore we are using too much kwH to light the living room and I want to replace with CFL.

This is stop-gap fix so in the future we will rip out the entire fan and replace fan and room lighting with newer technology.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DavidR

I don't see any problem with this.

Bookmark   March 20, 2011 at 8:11PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cebury

Thanks DavidR it went smooth, only took 5 minutes. I came back to repost some self-deprecating humor.

I found some old photos from 8 years ago that showed the light-switch in question WAS a regular on/off when I moved in and I had taken it apart and snapped some photos.

*I* was the one who replaced it to a dimmer to begin with! Now years down the road I had forgotten, then came back here to ask "hmm, I wonder if it's OK to put a switch BACK in".

You know you're getting old when....

Bookmark   October 19, 2011 at 1:47PM
More Discussions
Pendant help
Hello, Does anyone know where I can buy these lovely...
Nicole Falla
linen lighting shades
do linen shades hold up well in bathrooms?
wldougall
Pixi Lighting
Has anyone used the pixi lighting yet? It seems like...
stlblufan
Do LED lights put out enough light
I am looking at Moooi Raimond chandeliers. According...
mrsargent
Sylvania vs. EcoSmart retrofit
I have seen these two brands compared many times with...
linae
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™