Under cabinet lighting

shappyMarch 11, 2012

I have T5 fluorescent lights installed by the contractors 11 years ago. Thought it would be easy to have an electrician swap them out for a 'warmer' light , I refuse to use the ones I have now, i HATE the light. Current bulb says F8 T5/cw which I assume is 8 watt cool white.

But it sounds like the choices aren't so clear, I originally thought I'd go LED but see there's complaints on the cool color. Since this will cost a fair amount I thought I might try using a different fluorescent bulb first, a 2700 but can't seem to find. Any thoughts?

Does anybody have a fluorescent bulb that looks good and if so, where can I purchase the bulbs? (12" size)

Thanks !

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shappy

ok i went and got one, it looks exactly the same as the old cool white bulbs. Do the LEDs look better? Which brand?

Bookmark   March 11, 2012 at 9:45PM
snoonyb

If you did not remove the other bulbs, you have no yardstick.

Dimmable Xenon and LED's you may find abrasive at full brilliance, however when dimmed tend to enhance the grain and texture of the countertop.

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 12:56AM
shappy

Not sure what you mean by no yardstick. One side of the room 'cool' light and other 'warm' light--the 'warm' actually looks brighter/whiter/cooler. The ones Lowes sells aren't dimmable so thanks for the heads up.

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 8:33AM
David

Have you taken a look at the MaxLite LED UCL?

Here is a link that might be useful: MaxLite envlights

Bookmark   March 12, 2012 at 12:59PM
David

The max lite bars are direct wire. The led lights link is for low voltage which requires a power supply.

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 10:52PM
shappy

David I looked at the max lite bars and they said you needed a cord --so I'm assuming the direct wire is the default and the cord is only necessary if you don't have direct wire. Is this also correct --they only come in 12" increments and you need to join them together? That seems kind of pricey so around $150 for a 24" strip? On the other hand I did buy an LED rope (9 feet for $18 at costco) and really liked the light so much more than the fluorescent. Just a question--why are the bars so much more than the rope?

Bookmark   March 13, 2012 at 11:54PM
David

The cord does not have to have a plug on the other end. You need a terminal block to connect the romex to the cord. The cord is then plugged into one end of the bar.

There is an end to end connector so that the bars can be joined without a flexible cord.

The cost of a bar is roughly $40+ to under $50. So 24" should cost less than $120 (including shipping). Most sites offer discounts for bulk purchases (> 4)

The output for rope is lower than bar in general.

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 12:28AM
shappy

Im still confused Do i need to buy this terminal block?

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 1:09AM
David

You need the terminal block (2-Screw Terminal Block For Hard Wiring) to connect the romex. ~ $12.

Alternatively, you would get LED lights like those made by Kichler which have a substantial body to house the romex end.

You can call up env lights and speak with a pre-sales person.

Here is a link that might be useful: parts guide

Bookmark   March 14, 2012 at 10:28AM
More Discussions
thoughts on WAC Lighting LEDme Pro Light Bars
title says it all - any feedback on this brand and...
lmgch
Pendant light shades
Hi! New to the forum- don't know what took me so many...
chelseahasrouni
Looking for vendors of outdoor lighting
I am looking for quality outdoor wall lighting . I...
fiftyfab
Need help with recessed lighting placement
We're working on a total remodel of our kitchen. The...
judydenver
Need help identifying chandelier
Hello, I recently saw a chandelier that I really liked,...
Sgreen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™