Replacing kitchen canned lights in California - Title 24

bonsMarch 15, 2013

I need to replace my current kitchen incandescent canned lights with LEDs (first choice) or fluorescent to meet Title 24 requirements.

Can my current canned lights be retrofitted and still be 'legal' or do I have to replace the entire canned light?

I hope I asked this question correctly - I don't know much about lighting.


Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

Depends on the extent of your remodel.
The simplest is to use "drop in" replacements. This assumes that you're not redoing the lighting layout.

    Bookmark   March 15, 2013 at 10:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

You can still use incandescent, you just have to use lower wattages. They are making lower wattage lamps now that claim to have the same output as your originals. The problem - they burn out much more quickly.

Good luck!

(another Californian, that works with entertainment lights and has to deal with Title 24 all the time grrrr)

    Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 4:51PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I was told that drop-in replacements using an Edison base would not qualify in our jurisdiction as a high efficiency luminary. As it is with all situations, a lot depends on your local building inspectors. The regulations in kitchen are even more complicated than in other areas of the home. If you have already determined you will need to swap our your existing lights, then you may need to swap out the can to an air tight model with an acceptable (GU24 or proprietary) connector. There are provisions for existing luminaries, I think, as well as you could spend your "low efficiency" wattage on some noncompliant light. Your GC or electrician will be able to tell you.

    Bookmark   March 23, 2013 at 11:56PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

I am replacing all of the existing cans with Title 24 compliant air tight LEDs.

I have not seen written anywhere that I can use lower wattage incandescent.


    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 11:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo

If you're replacing the cans, get gu24 cans or the halo led cans. Cree has a gu24 pigtail which can be spliced in place of the 2 pin Halo connector or for that matter, an e26 Edison base.
The intent of the new connector is to prevent people from fitting incandescent bulbs in the fixture. The gu24 or bi pin connectors are no more efficient than the e26 screw base.
Incandescent bulbs may only be used if you can satisfy the requirement that 50% of the lighting is provided from high efficiency sources. Even so, it will get progressively difficult to get incandescent bulbs.

    Bookmark   March 25, 2013 at 2:16PM
Sign Up to comment
More Discussions
Is it ok to install ceiling lights in the slab itself?
I'm getting a new house built and trying to figure...
Retrofitting off-sized recessed lighting with LEDs-Help?
We are renovating our just-purchased apartment and...
i found this on ebay
its a led strap very nice anf beautiful Specifications: Ø...
Ran Peretz
Legacy Debut Kitchen Cabinet -designer construction
Hi, Does anyone have any feedback on this cabinet...
Lisa Smith
MR16 vs GU10
What is the difference between MR16 and GU10 halogen...
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™