dryer: vent issue or just broken?

sixcefSeptember 9, 2013

Just moved to a great new rental house. Great, that is, except the dryer just doesn't want to dry.

It seems to get hot, but is it hot enough? Putting like one towel in at a time seems to get it dry, but put a normal size load in, and it never really does.

I was about to order a dryer vent cleaning, and the landlord will pay for it. But I don't want to waste her money or my time if it's an issue with the dryer itself.

Is there some way to know for sure what's up?

Thanks so much,
Colin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
knot2fast

A dryer doesn't have to be especially hot to work as long as it can move moist air out of the machine.

I'd be suspicious of poor venting if you can detect even moderate heat in the dryer. The vent may be blocked or especially dirty. It may not be properly connected. It might also be simply too long and too many bends to allow sufficient air flow.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 10:42PM
enduring

What knot2fast says.

Dryers have recommended vent run lengths, that are in the installation instructions. Each 90 degree bend adds 5 feet of length to your run, by just being there. So if you have 25 feet of venting to the outside but have 2, 90 degree turns you now have the equivalent of a 35 foot run, and it may be too long for your dryer. I don't believe the bend coming out of the dryer counts as one of those 5' penalties though, read the manual if available, or check an on line manual.

You want ridged venting duct work, not corrugated metal or plastics. Metal corrugated is ok for the very short run from the machine to the start of the vent if needed, I believe. If a vent run needs to be longer than the recommended length than an auxiliary fan is needed. In apartment buildings that is often the case because of the location of multiple units.

Get the vent cleaned and see what you think. A cheap fix for a big return.

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 10:59PM
sixcef

some really good advice, wow.

thanks so much, e & !2f!

-colin

Bookmark   September 9, 2013 at 11:47PM
More Discussions
Fisher and Paykel GWL11 Top Loading Washer
My GWL11 Top loading washer has had nothing but problems!...
jessicacbrandt
Kenmore Elite Front Load Washer Smell
We have a two year old Kenmore Elite Front Load Washer...
joechsle
Removing ink on silk?
Anyone knows how to remove ink on silk. Much appreciated....
yugoslava
Stack Washer & Dryer to make room for Utility Tub?
Hi All! I have a very small main floor laundry "closet"...
Catie R
Vibration reduction in compact washers - Whirlpool vs. Asko?
We recently moved into a new house and are considering...
mannyzen76
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™