Clorox 2 vs Borax

PatSeptember 9, 2010

Do you have a preference and why, please. Is there a difference? Thank you.

Pat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
crashbox

Can't say I've used Clorox 2 but I just read a couple of MSDS's (there sure are a lot of variants) and it appears Oxi-Clean is not-too-dissimilar, which I have used, as well as borax.

I do prefer oxygen bleaches such as Clorox 2 to whiten my whites on a regular basis (I use chlorine bleach a couple times per year), and occasionally with some colored fabrics I'll throw some oxygen bleach in. The borax, though, I really like to use for soaking my jackets and other clothes in when they begin to smell like an animal cage. It has been my experience that borax for this application is pretty hard to beat- inexpensive and highly effective.

I am also curious what others have to say about Clorox 2 and borax.

Bookmark   September 10, 2010 at 10:32PM
crashbox

I've done some more research in the past 12 hours and have found that Clorox 2 and its variants are largely sodium carbonate (alkali) and either sodium percarbonate or sodium perborate (oxygen bleach) depending on formulation. Borax- sodium tetraborate- will also act as an oxygen bleach, albeit at higher water temperatures, and I suspect not as much as either perborate or percarbonate. I have come to the conclusion that Clorox 2 and other similar compounds are "borax on steroids", so to speak.

Reading the MSDS's and seeing the active ingredients, I also think the companies who are formulating these are making money hand-over-fist! I could probably make my own for a very great deal less, the only issue would be if I wanted to use sodium perborate since using it below 140 F needs an activator such as TAED which seems difficult to obtain. Well, enough of that...

In sum, the similarities appear to be that both borax and Clorox 2 are oxygen bleaches, with borax in my opinion not nearly so active/aggressive. Differences would be that borax requires hot water to be truly effective whereas Clorox 2 is active at lower water temperatures than borax.

Whew!

Bookmark   September 11, 2010 at 12:31PM
Pat

Wow. Great research, crashbox. Thank you very much. I am doing some research on all the bleach alternatives right now.
Pat

Bookmark   September 12, 2010 at 12:40PM
More Discussions
Tide Turbo Clean Detergent
Has anyone tried the new tide turbo clean line. I saw...
harlowolivia
Stacking washer and dryers of different makes
I just learned that my Kenmore washer was beyond repair...
deleomeyer
LG/Kenmore Elite 5.2 washer & 9.0 Dryer
Hey everyone! Happy New Year!! Does anyone have any...
larsi_gw
New Tide Turbo Clean HE
Seeing coupons for this in my paper. Is it their response...
kclv
Ok to only use cold water hookup on washing machine?
Hello, My washing machine is in a location with only...
jmoscone
Sponsored Products
Great American Rain Barrel - UNPAINTEDRB- BLUEGRAY
$89.98 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™