Halogen Torcherie repair

bearcat222March 11, 2013

Thank you for reading my message. I am a novice at lamp repair. I own a secondhand halogen torcherie that I would like to fix. There is very little information on the lamp. The base is stamped "PAF studio DUNA Design Mario Barbaglia Marco Colombo Milan Mad in Italy"

The ferrule surrounding the ceramic that goes around the contact is stamped "DMT-020-6/250" The "D" might be an "O"

I believe the contacts are so badly corroded/burned/worn that this is causing the light to keep turning off. I'd like to replace the contacts, but they appear to be integral to the wires. If I can crimp on new contacts, or just replace the whole wire-and-contact assembly, that would be great.

Can you suggest what I would need to buy, and from where? Thank you.

PS, yes I am aware that these lamps are extraordinarily dangerous and can start fires. If there were something safer that would put 300 watts of sunlight bounced off my ceiling, at an affordable price, I'd use that instead. I live on $900 a month social security, so a $100 to $300 lamp is out of the question. Thank you.
Edit/Delete Message

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

Are you talking about the socket contacts?

They are not normally a replaceable/repairable item.

You replace the whole socket.

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 4:18PM
emma

I have two and had to have a lamp repair service put a new switch in. It is the only thing I have found that I can read with at night.

You know the dangers connected with them I assume. They get very hot so keep the away from draperies and other flammables.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 11:32AM
brickeyee

If the switch has failed you replace the switch.

Most use similar hole sizes ad mounting.
if it is an odd switch it might take more time to find one.

Sounds like someone picked a switch based on the running current of the bulb (watts/volts) and neglected that the initial starting current can be significantly higher for a few cycles of the AC power until the filament heats up (while the contacts are still bouncing a little bit, like every mechanical switch does on closing).

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 6:01PM
More Discussions
2015 Title 24 and LEDs
Hello all, I'm looking to install LEDs in a house that...
elcabezon
dining area lighting dilemma
We are building our retirement home, and have a large...
golfergirl29
recessed lighting suggestions
I'm having recessed lights installed in two rooms this...
evanderleeuw
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
Has Anything Changed In Recessed LCD Lighting Since 2012?!?
GW, Hello everyone! Just wanted to say that this is...
AndrewDK
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™