Floor Lamp Help, Please

WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8aMarch 5, 2010

I have a floor lamp which is of great assistance to me in lighting the computer work area. However, all of a sudden the switch will not budge either to the left or right. Any explanation would help. I am hoping I can repair this myself, but I have never done anything like this, so hopefully, will get some step-by-step instructions, and if there is only one step - super!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fandlil

It depends on the kind of switch you have.

Assuming your switch is a little knob attached to the device into which the light bulb is screwed on, the problem may be due to the thing being worn out. If that's the case, you may need to replace that device. Not a big job or very costly, but hard to figure out and explain exactly without seeing it in person. You could bring the lamp to an old fashioned hardware store, or even a big box store like HOME DEPOT if and only if you have a REALLY GOOD ONE in your area, and ask for guidance on what to replace and how to install the replacement.

Alternatively, you could FORCE the switch, or gently rock it back and forth to see if that will get it to work again. If you can get it to turn on the light, don't turn it off because you may not be able to turn it back on. Just pull the plug until you have the time and money to get it fixed.

If the switch is of a different type, like one that is attached to the electric cord, these are usually very easy to replace. First, disconnect the cord from the outlet. Then, remove the switch by loosening the screw that holds it in place. Then bring the switch to a hardware store or lamp repair store and get a new one. They are not expensive. And install it and you're good to go.

Good luck.

Bookmark   March 7, 2010 at 6:52PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

Thank you, haus_proud. The switch you described in exactly right. I did try rocking the switch back and forth; while I was doing that I accidently moved up and the whole thing holding the lightbulb moved up. So that makes me think the piece should be replaced.

Bookmark   March 8, 2010 at 10:49AM
More Discussions
Disappointed with my LED recessed lights ... what now?
My LED recessed lights (Cree 6'' 2700K) were installed...
aussies
i found this on ebay
its a led strap very nice anf beautiful Specifications: Ø...
Ran Peretz
MR16 vs GU10
What is the difference between MR16 and GU10 halogen...
mtvhike
Retrofitting off-sized recessed lighting with LEDs-Help?
We are renovating our just-purchased apartment and...
lindy74
how many lamps in a bathroom heat lamp?
Bathroom is about 140sq5 ft. What do you'll think?...
growingadvice
Sponsored Products
Manchester Swivel Bar Height Backless Bar Stool (30"H seat) - Black
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Madera 28 1/4" Wide Black Iron Hand-Forged Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Accent Rug: Flokati Purple 31" x 47"
$49.97 | Home Depot
nuLOOM MTVS26A Trellis Area Rug - Grey - MTVS26A-508
$326.99 | Hayneedle
TRIBECCA HOME Atelier Traditional French Burnished Brown Pedestal End Table
Overstock.com