Need Advise: New Maytag or LG Front-Loader

Bravos4meSeptember 30, 2011

I've been a lurker here for months, but now find myself needing to buy a new set that can stack. Nothing excites me about what's available, but I've narrowed it down to the Maytag MHW6000, which is Direct Drive, Maytag MHWE950, which is Belt Drive, and either the LG WM2350 or WM3360, both Direct Drive.

The LGs seem to differ only in drum size (3.7 vs. 3.9), and some features, but appear to be built on the same platform. The Maytags, on the other hand, are totally different machines. The belt drive model (which is slightly smaller), may be one that I've read about here that is German-built; can anyone confirm that? Where the 2 Maytags are such different systems, I was hoping someone here could tell me why I'd want one over the other. Is direct-drive preferable to belt-drive, or vice-versa, and if so, why?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropical_thought

Try the home depot forum on this subject. I understand people ended up with the motors on the Maytags dying due to a penny getting in the motor. But, I don't know I have the LG, but the water level is not high enough to suit me. I should have gotten the Maytag, I guess, but they cost more. I would like to know the difference, so far the LG did not break down, but it make awful noises when the lode is unbalanced and it sure sound like it is about to break down.

Bookmark   October 2, 2011 at 3:57PM
dadoes

A penny is highly unlikely to get into a washing machine's motor when the motor is *outside* the tub.

Bookmark   October 2, 2011 at 6:50PM
cobragirl96

Read the reliability ratings on LG front loaders if you haven't already bought. My mil's broke just after a year (warranty was up) and was very costly to repair. After reading online found that LG's reliability on front loaders wasn't so hot.

Bookmark   October 12, 2011 at 2:08PM
michelle_phxaz

LG LG LG LG LG LG LG LG!

I think you should go with the LG. LOVE mine and every appliance down to our cell phones that are LG.

Bookmark   October 13, 2011 at 7:37AM
ratflinger

Let me put it this way - A Maytag of any kind will never find it's way into my house again! Used to be the best on the planet - now about the worst. 12 years ago when we moved in we speced all Maytag. Within about 8 years we had replaced everything. Try the LG, it couldn't possibly be worse.

Bookmark   October 15, 2011 at 9:21PM
dadoes

Maytag of 12 years ago is not Maytag of today.

Bookmark   October 15, 2011 at 11:04PM
bshef

LG for last 6 years.....Great washer when it works....However...
The "LE Error code" almost ended it's career however, I was able to fix it all by myself with the help of many great internet post on how to change out the Hall sensor and how to clean out the water port up front that tends to get clogged....also had to un-plug and replug in the main board

Bookmark   October 16, 2011 at 1:11AM
ratflinger

Of course not, it's now a Whirlpool in disguise. Same trash

Bookmark   October 16, 2011 at 11:17PM
More Discussions
How to RePosition Side by Side Washer & Dryer to Stackable position?
Greetings! We are moving into a home where the only...
gem57
Vibration reduction in compact washers - Whirlpool vs. Asko?
We recently moved into a new house and are considering...
mannyzen76
Speed Queen Front Load AFN50 Washer Review - Long Post
I have been lurking here for a while as one of many...
sandiego_steve
NEW Whirlpool Duet laundry team
Hi Guys, I'm a new blog writer and i review items....
Appliancetoday
Mystery holes in cotton knits
My husband and I have been perplexed for over a year...
nicoletouk
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™