How to center DR chandelier over DR table

mama_miaMarch 17, 2011

Our dining room is rectangular, and the chandelier is in the center of the dining room ceiling. This makes sense in an empty room. However, because the hutch is on one long wall of the rectangle, and the buffet table is on a short wall, the dining room table is not in the middle of the room. To be above the center of the DR table, the chandelier should be about 24" to the north and 24" to the east of where it is.

This is particularly noticeable when I have some flowers or candles in the center of the table, because they are so obviously not below the chandelier. Same with hanging a decoration from the chandelier for a birthday party. Of course the lighting is also a big issue.

So, how to correct it? The hole for the chandelier could be moved, but this seems like such a big job for me, and too small of a job for a contractor. All furniture would need to be moved out and the ceiling would need to be patched and painted. Question: is this easier than I am imagining?

I was also wondering if a better / easier solution would be to just replace the chandelier with a track lighting fixture... are there any that have pendants with diffused lighting i.e. the lights shine up instead of down? Any other suggestions for this situation? Thank you!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DavidR

You might get a swag fixture with plenty of chain, and fix a hook where you want it. That way, when you decide to put the table somewhere else (or the next owner of the house does), the light is easily moved again.

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 1:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

It can be very simple depending on the wiring.

It is not more than a one day job in many cases.

Bookmark   March 17, 2011 at 8:54PM
More Discussions
Artwork lighting with recessed cans
I have 6" recessed can lights throughout my house....
sch9171
Is it ok to install ceiling lights in the slab itself?
I'm getting a new house built and trying to figure...
pursuitofhome
Entry light for awkward design
What should we do for a light at the front door? It...
sakami
thoughts on WAC Lighting LEDme Pro Light Bars
title says it all - any feedback on this brand and...
lmgch
Looking for vendors of outdoor lighting
I am looking for quality outdoor wall lighting . I...
fiftyfab
Sponsored Products
Shiny Metal Plating Pot Base Linen Drum Shade Table Lamp
ParrotUncle
Cerno Silva Oiled Walnut and White LED Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Custom Placemats - Set of 4
Home Decorators Collection
TRIBECCA HOME Presidio Rustic Brown Vintage Industrial Modern 7-piece Dining Set
Overstock.com
Slamp | Liza Table Lamp
$580.00 | YLighting
Lite Source Nicolette Table Lamp - LS-22347
$171.00 | Hayneedle
Coalesse | Emuv Re-Trouve Pouf
YLiving.com
Soft Chrome One Light 18-Inch Table Lamp
$790.00 | Bellacor
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™