In Shelf recessed under cabinet light decision help heat

polkadotcityMarch 31, 2009

Hi.

I love reading all your expert advice, and now need some directed at me.

My question: What kind of light can I put into a custom made shelf to shine down on the counter? WE have a shelf above all the counters, not cabinets.

We have a 2" thick shelf (actually hollow, but looks 2 inch thick) shelf all the way around the kitchen which sits about 16 inches above the counter top.

Our plan was to cut round holes in the bottom of the hollow shelf and to insert puck lights up into the space that would then shine down. And be dimmable.

We have been researching what to buy, and someone mentioned that puck lights of any kind will be too hot for an enclosed case setting as we have and will ultimately be a fire hazard.

What should we use for the necessary task lighting?

The only other light in the kitchen is a single fixture in the center of the ceiling. The room is about 9 by 10 feet. Walls on three sides and open to dining area on the fourth side.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dim4fun

Puck, buttons, etc. are intended to be installed as you want. See the link for an example of a brand and how they may be used. Note also that these types of fixtures must be installed with class 2 wiring methods. One cannot use a big transformer with a bunch of these lights on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: WAC

Bookmark   March 31, 2009 at 8:21PM
More Discussions
What should be dimmable in my kitchen?
We are doing a kitchen renovation, and like most new...
progressnerd
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
Light fixtures for cove lighting
Greetings, I am constructing cove lighting in a small...
impster
dining area lighting dilemma
We are building our retirement home, and have a large...
golfergirl29
MBR ceiling light or fan
Hi all, We have a farmhouse/colonial that was built...
Anthony
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™