How Many LED Light Bars are Considered Adequate?

dyrmaker83March 11, 2013

I'm really interested in LED under cabinet lighting for our kitchen remodel, and would like to go with direct wire LED light bars (either Philips eW Profile or Maxlite). I've searched and searched, and can't find ANY guidelines on how much linear coverage is needed. We'll have a 13' run of cabinets including microwave above the range (cabinets from left to right: 18" - 30" - 24" - 33" - Microwave Hood - 24"). Assuming I went with 12" bars for either brand, how many are necessary?

I realize full coverage is ideal, with a couple inches between cabinets, but I'm trying to keep costs down. Does one bar for a 24" cabinet, and two bars for a 30" cabinet sound about right?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

imo you should have ~ 200+ lumens per ft output (from the bar) to light up the immediate work area.

Some would like the appearance of uninterrupted light runs while those with traditional style UCL boxes have discontiguous light runs.

Since you will live with the kitchen for quite a while, plan to get the look you desire.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 12:40PM
dyrmaker83

I have a little trouble translating lumens to number of light bars, but let me work this out to see if I have it right.

The primary workspace between the sink and the range is 57" (24" + 33" cabinets). Three of the Philips light bars, at 256 lumens each, add up to 768 lumens total across that workspace. If my math is correct, that only results in 161 lumens per foot or insufficient lighting. Is that basically how its done?

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 1:32PM
David

If you want the entire section of countertops and not just a small portion lit, you need to get either more or longer bars.

The eW profile and max lite bars come in different lengths that can be mixed (using eW profile bars 10" + 20") which makes it difficult to directly answer "how many bars should be used"

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 5:35PM
dyrmaker83

Thanks, this does help. I realize it may not be so simple when different bar sizes are available; I'm just trying to get an idea how much I'll need.

I do mean to cover the whole countertop run, but was using the center 24" and 33" cabinets as an example to give me an idea. Hopefully my calculated amount of lumens are correct, which points me in the right direction based on your helpful guidelines. I'm trying to get the amount of LEDs I need without breaking the bank.

I suppose the backsplash and countertop can be factors as well. Fortunately, we're going with white for both.

Bookmark   March 11, 2013 at 9:26PM
More Discussions
Bedroom Lighting Advice?
I just came up with a first draft for lighting in our...
schicksal
T24 compliant, 4" LED recessed light options
We are looking for a sub $100 4" LED recessed...
pinkybee83
Retrofitting off-sized recessed lighting with LEDs-Help?
We are renovating our just-purchased apartment and...
lindy74
MR16 vs GU10
What is the difference between MR16 and GU10 halogen...
mtvhike
Need help with recessed lighting placement
We're working on a total remodel of our kitchen. The...
judydenver
Sponsored Products
Knight Chair - Key Largo Ruby Red
Joybird Furniture
Beach Bar Cedar Wall Art
$199.00 | FRONTGATE
Berkeley Exterior Wall Light
$189.90 | Bellacor
ELK Lighting Regency Chandelier 2166/10+5 - 41W in. - 2166/10+5
Hayneedle
Cottage Swivel Stool - Counter (26" seat)
Grandin Road
Agave Parabolic Pendant by Luceplan
$731.22 | Lumens
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™