Changing flush-mount ceiling lights

LinelleMarch 28, 2009

I have 3 flush-mounted ceiling lights in my hall (9-ft. ceilings) that are vintage 1991 cheap hideous. I'm having my house's entire interior painted soon and it's time for these ugly things to go. In keeping it simple and staying within budget, I'd like to replace them with more updated fixtures. Is it as easy as it sounds? I know about turning off the power. Then just matching up the wires? Is this something I can do alone? I don't use the hall lights that much (thanks to a Solatube), except at night when I need to see something in the laundry room. Do I have to use fluorescent bulbs?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dim4fun

Yes you can do it. Just don't trust that you have the power off till you actually test it. You should put a note on the switch that disabled the power that you may be killed if anyone turns it back on before you finish.

The trick is in holding the fixture while you make the wire connections. Professional electricians have three hands or a clever way to accomplish this alone. Test your wire connection by tugging a bit on each wire while holding the wirenut to make sure the wires are secure. If things didn't go well when inserting into the wirenut they'll often pop right out when you do this step.

Please explain your fluorescent question.

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 12:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Linelle

Thanks dim4fun. Sounds like I might want to have an assistant holding the fixture (on a separate ladder) while I'm doing the wires.

The fluorescent question. I don't like the look of fluorescent light. Do all fixtures use both fluor. and incand. bulbs, or do I need to ask when I'm at the store? I was just afraid there's some Go Green Edict that might force me to use fluorescent.

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 12:43PM
More Discussions
Need help finding black lantern sconces
I am trying to find black lantern lights like this....
marthasiny
Disappointed with my LED recessed lights ... what now?
My LED recessed lights (Cree 6'' 2700K) were installed...
aussies
What light would look nice over the sink?
Hi, I'm stumped trying to find a pendant light to go...
sweetoo
how many lamps in a bathroom heat lamp?
Bathroom is about 140sq5 ft. What do you'll think?...
growingadvice
Legacy Debut Kitchen Cabinet -designer construction
Hi, Does anyone have any feedback on this cabinet...
Lisa Smith
Sponsored Products
Uncertain Gray Narrow Zig Zag Double Gourd Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
44" Encoreā„¢ Possini Euro Bronze Hugger Ceiling Fan
Euro Style Lighting
Hampton Bay Linear Track Head Oil Rubbed Bronze with Wheat Glass EC8711OBR
$23.20 | Home Depot
North Creek Olde Bronze One-Light 13-Inch Outdoor Wall Mount
$242.00 | Bellacor
Whitney Wall Sconce
Lightology
Hand-crafted Light Blue Tone-On-Tone Bordered Wool Rug (8' X 11')
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™