MR16 bulbs - Sealed or Open?

helouMarch 14, 2013

I've got track fixtures which take Halogen MR16 bulbs. It seems to me (please correct me if I'm wrong) that I can either
1) Use "open" bulbs, which then get covered by a glass plate which comes with the fixture, and attaches with clips, or,
2) Use sealed bulbs and put away the fixture-supplied glass plates.

Is there an advantage to one over the other? I'll be using the Ushio Superline Reflekto (coated back) bulbs. They're available either open or sealed.

Thanks for any guidance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wws944

You might want to consider LED lamps. While the lamps themselves are more expensive than halogen lamps, they use about 1/6th the amount of power, last many times longer, and current ones are quite bright.

The photo below is one I took comparing a 50 watt Sylvania halogen (left side) to a Philips 10 watt LED lamp (right side). The LED beats the halogen in a number of ways. I must note though that the halogen lamp probably had 1-2k hours on it, so was probably not as bright as a new one. I bought the Philips at Home Depot. At the time, they were rated at 435 lumens. Current ones are rated at 500 lumens, so are even brighter.

If I were looking today, I would also consider the new Cree LM16. But they are a bit pricier than the Philips lamps.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 10:48AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
helou

Thank you wws944, after all this time for the advice about getting the LED. I am now looking to replace the halogen MR 16s with LED equivalents. I would love to buy the Cree, but right now they seem to be selling for about $40 each, which seems very high.
I may bite the bullet and get the Cree, though.

Bookmark   March 5, 2014 at 8:33PM
More Discussions
Any opinions on "all-in-one" housing/trim/bulb LED combo kits?
There are a couple "all-in-one" recessed...
progressnerd
Hubbardton Forge
Does anyone by chance have their Icarus and/or Mobius...
anniel58
Need advice on lighting for a kitchen island/table combo
I'm helping my parents pick stuff for their long overdo...
Robyn Hoke
Recessed lighting - Remodel (yes/no) LED Can and Trim/Engine (model)
Hi, I want to install recessed lighting in my house...
firsthome_sfh
Accent Eyeball lighting for Artwork
Any recommendations for size and type of eyeball light?...
lake72
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™