Light Plan - No Undercounter Lights

geralds34March 11, 2010

Attached is our kitchen plan. We do not intend to install the upper cabinets next to the stove initially, to see if we really need them. So, the only upppers are by the sink. There is a small bulk head between the kitchen and dining room(where old wall was), it is 5" wide, and hanges down 3".

Currently, there are two ceiling boxes on separate switches, with simple builder type fixtures, they are the GREEN boxes in the diagram.

Would pot lights provide enuf light, with out shadows on the work area, if mounted 24" out from wall? The RED dots show where I think I'd put recessed lights - not sure of size.

Would long track lighting be more effective, and a substantial savings?

Not sure we want pendants over the peninsula, they seem to block the openness.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
doraville

Sorry I can't advise. You are thinking of taking the opposite approach that I did. I went for undercabinet lighting and nixed the cans. I hadn't had undercabinet lighting before and have now had for two days. I don't know how I lived without it!

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 9:07PM
missantarctica5

Hi, I am not a designer, but had my kitchen remodelled by one about 5 years ago. I have recessed pots (Par20) in two rows, spaced between 4 and 8 feet (I have an old house with odd-shaped kitchen). It is good for ambient light, and will be a replacement for the builder's fixtures. For a kitchen, I think you also need task lighting. I have pendants over the peninsula and undercabinet lighting near the sink, and at both prep areas. Presumably you will have a task light on the fan over your stove, so now you just need a task light over the peninsula, and maybe over the sink. They have "mini pendants" that are very unobtrusive or to preserve the openness, use small tracks.

Bookmark   March 12, 2010 at 7:44PM
rosiew

Hope you are in Doraville, GA. I'd love to talk with you about what you used for your under cabinet lighting. Could you directly email me??? Thanks.

Rosie, in Sugar Hill

Bookmark   March 31, 2010 at 7:31AM
More Discussions
What should be dimmable in my kitchen?
We are doing a kitchen renovation, and like most new...
progressnerd
Has Anything Changed In Recessed LCD Lighting Since 2012?!?
GW, Hello everyone! Just wanted to say that this is...
AndrewDK
linen lighting shades
do linen shades hold up well in bathrooms?
wldougall
2015 Title 24 and LEDs
Hello all, I'm looking to install LEDs in a house that...
elcabezon
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™