Real candle version of RH's 'Pillar Candle Chandelier'?

coastal_modern_loveMarch 29, 2011

I am looking for a version of Restoration Hardware's "Pillar Candle Chandelier" that is not hardwired, and actually holds candles. I realize I could probably make one, but I am wondering if anyone has seen anything similar out there as another option. I have seen the tea light holder at Zgallerie, but lighting 40 tiny tea lights that will last only hours seems daunting as opposed to big pillars that will last much longer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DavidR

Forty candles! Wow! That was probably fine in the 18th and 19th centuries when homes and concert halls were wide open and drafty. But in a well sealed 21st century home, it could mean significant odor, degradation of the air quality in the room, and soot stains on the ceiling.

Part of the problem is that today's candles often aren't very good. At least around here, most of the big candles I find are either one-of-a-kind hand-made items, or else they're cheap imports, usually from China. The latter often don't burn well (lousy wicks) or cleanly (impure wax). The former are quite pricey and sometimes don't burn much cleaner.

With that caveat out of the way, it looks like a pretty simple chandelier to make. If you don't have the tools and/or time, I'd suggest visiting a renaissance fair or craft festival in your area, and making contact with an ironworker who accepts commissions.

Hope this helps!

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 2:33PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
coastal_modern_love

Thanks for the tip! If I don't find anything, I will look into contacting an ironworker or maybe asking the carpenter on my current project for "help". I am sure he can come up with ideas/materials AND labor!

That was my issue with the tea lights, the task of lighting, and the residual smell and soot. I have quite a few of the flameless pillars that I use outside and could mix those with 3 or 4 real to get the effect I want as opposed to 40.

Pottery barn had a version a few years back if anyone remembers this, it is the look I'm going for. Still would appreciate a spotter to send me a link if you've seen anything in your own travels!

Bookmark   April 1, 2011 at 7:17PM
More Discussions
is there any solution for this problem?
Have a new ceiling fan in the kitchen which I bought...
springplanter
Rosette on slanted dining room ceiling?
Moved into a resale which has a dining room fixture...
Barb P
Retrofitting off-sized recessed lighting with LEDs-Help?
We are renovating our just-purchased apartment and...
lindy74
T24 compliant, 4" LED recessed light options
We are looking for a sub $100 4" LED recessed...
pinkybee83
i found this on ebay
its a led strap very nice anf beautiful Specifications: Ø...
Ran Peretz
Sponsored Products
Kichler Durham Olde Bronze Chandelier 5-Light
PLFixtures
Dark Plum Cleo 24" Wide Pendant Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Easton Polished Nickel Six-Light Chandelier
$778.00 | Bellacor
Murray Feiss Kelham Hall Traditional Chandelier
1800Lighting
Artcraft Lighting Monterey Oil Brushed Bronze Four-Light 18'' Wide Mini Chandeli
$563.00 | LuxeDecor
Ashton Three-Light Satin Nickel Chandelier
$196.00 | Bellacor
Etruscan Sunset Giclee Glow 16" Wide Bronze Pendant
Lamps Plus
Designers Fountain 961815 Barcelona 15 Light Chandelier in Natural Iron Finish M
$638.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™