Kentucky Jam Cake

ruthanna_gwJuly 13, 2013

One of my FBI friends posted this list of American desserts. In addition to the ones I'd eaten, I had heard of all of them except for Fried Coke and Kentucky Jam Cake.

I was intrigued by the cake and checked my cookbooks that might have a recipe for it and none did. When I checked the Internet, there was a slew of recipes with so many variations I didn't know where to start.

I'd like to try making a Kentucky Jam Cake but having no idea what It's supposed to taste like or what the traditional ingredients are other than seedless blackberry jam.

Anyone have a T & T recipe for it or any information to help me select a recipe?

Here is a link that might be useful: American Desserts

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lpinkmountain

I made it a couple of years back. Just a typical recipe I found on the Internet. I made a half recipe just in a 9 inch square pan. It was YUM! It's an old fashioned type cake, very moist.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 3:10PM
lpinkmountain

OK Ruthanna here is my recipe, it is written on scrap paper and I think it is for a 9 inch pan. Maybe double if you want to do a two layer cake, we can't eat a whole one of those. Not sure what kind of icing to recommend, I didn't serve it with icing since that was too rich for me.

It's kinda cryptic, but might give you a guide as to what is good.

325 degrees for 45 min.

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2.5 eggs (which would be two eggs and one egg white)
1.5 cups flour (1 1/2 cups) + 1/2 TBLSP
1/2 tsp. allspice
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup pecans (I can never afford pecans so I probably used walnuts)
1/2 cup jam.

I have no instructions with this but just your basic cake stuff--butter and flour your pan, mix together dry and wet ingredients and then fold together for batter. Bake until it's done and I use the toothpick test. You combine the jam with the wet ingredients, just mix it right in.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 3:27PM
triciae

I only scored a 64 on the test. Some of those desserts I'd never even heard of much less eaten or made. :( It was fun though.

Lpink!!! (((hugs)))

/tricia

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 4:16PM
ruthanna_gw

Good to see you, Lpink. Thanks for the recipe. I've made enough cakes that I'll just follow the normal mixing procedure. Most have a caramel icing and I have a good recipe for one but think I will wait to see if we like the cake before I make the frosting.

Tricia, I only tried 60 of the desserts but I confess there were a few of them that I tried and had no desire to eat a second time.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 5:27PM
annie1992

I got a 73, but I've never had fried coke or Watergate Salad or persimmon pudding.

I have made jam cake, though, with homemade blackberry jam. The recipe was from the old Farm Journal cookbooks, I think, and now I'll have to go look for it.

Annie

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 1:34AM
teresa_nc7

My score was also 64 - never heard of some of those desserts. I made a blackberry jam cake one time and it turned out well, but was way to sweet for me to ever make again.

This link below is similar to the recipe that I made.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kentucky Jam Cake at SouthernFood.about.com

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 9:01AM
Rusty

Kentucky Jam cake sounds interesting.
Maybe use an "all fruit" spread
instead of actual jam?
I love the Polaner "All Fruit With Fiber Spreadable Fruit".

Good to "see" you, Lilpink.
Your recipe has been added to my 'To try' flle.

I got a whopping 54 on the dessert file test! :>)
Quite a few there I've never heard of, either.
The Fried Coke is one,
but it sounds interesting,
Anyone here know what it's like?
Have a recipe?
Hadn't thought about Watergate Salad in years,
And I love it!

Rusty

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 10:53AM
cloudy_christine

I made it once years ago. It was a Bundt cake with no icing. If it had been much less sweet it would have been very good. If I made it again I would experiment with that, but really I'd have to leave out all the sugar.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 3:11PM
ruthanna_gw

After looking at more recipes, I think I'll pass. Given the quantity of the sugar + the jam + the frosting, it may be the cake equivalent of sweet tea and that is not an item I like.

Rusty, I'd never heard of fried Coke either so I looked it up and it's deep-fried balls of Coke-flavored batter, served drizzled with Coke syrup and topped with whipped cream and cinnamon-sugar. It was introduced at the 2006 Texas State Fair and was very popular.

Bookmark   July 14, 2013 at 5:50PM
Rusty

Thanks, Ruthanna.
I got side tracked today,
So haven't tried to find a Fried Coke description or recipe.

Sounds like it would be good, (kinda)
If you like the flavor of coke. . . . .

Rusty

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 12:02AM
dedtired

I wondered about fried coke, too. I got a 62. I've never had a Snickers salad and I hope I never do. That Kentucky Cake would not appeal to me because I don't like overly sweet food.

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 9:34AM
lpinkmountain

It was very sweet, which is why I didn't do a frosting with it. You could cut the sugar to 2/3 cup maybe?? I just have the recipe around to use up old jam that tends to accumulate at my house. It was tasty though, moist and spicy. I wouldn't go out of my way to make it but would make it with leftover jam if I had some languishing around. Does not have to be blackberry jam, I think I used plum, 'cause that's what I had.

Bookmark   July 16, 2013 at 11:44AM
More Discussions
Curry (I think) flavored coffee cake
My boss's friend shared a coffee cake, or fruit cake...
sally2_gw
Monkey Princess makes pretzels
The Monkey Princess decided that we needed to learn...
annie1992
What happened? Scientifically speaking...
Well, I'm hoping there may be someone here to give...
christinmk z5b eastern WA
What to do with fermented green tomaotes?
We have more than a lifetime's worth of fermented green...
matthias_lang
Beans and Greens Recipes?
I wonder if I haven't been getting out enough, and...
plllog
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™