LED bulb choices

a2geminiMarch 28, 2012

Down to the wire - We have to decide on our LED bulbs for our cans.

Options

Cooper RL7 LED - good reviews 3000K. Uses a retrofit trim. Dims to 5% with LV dimmer. 636 Lumens 50000 hours

Ecosmart - screw in bulb - looks and acts almost like a regular light bulb with about a 1/2 second delay. 2700K. Dims - but reviews say does not dim as well as it claims (only to about 50%) 5 year warranty - but have heard of a few failing within the first year - red flag?

Phillips - Also have screw in models - again in the 600-650 lumen range - I think they have 2700 and 3000K

GE - New line of bulbs that either look like a PAR30 with a bunch of dots or a regular light bulb.

What has been your experience. Initially thought I wanted a regular screw bulb but am leaning towards the Coopers.

PS - I am getting a sneak preview of our lighting. With the 7 cans and 2 decorative lights - I think I will be able to see in my kitchen. Not so critical now, but with our family history of eye problems, it will be nice to have good lighting!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
polie

I've been using the Ecosmart 575, which made by Cree. I think the Cree branded CR6 has the 5 year warranty, but if memory serves me right the Home Depot Ecosmart has only a 3 year warranty. In my area, at $25+tax the Ecosmart was about half the cost of the CR6, so I figured it wasn't worth spending 2x to get the CR6 only to add another 2 years to the warranty.

I don't have the dimmer, so I can't comment on that, but I love the light. It's strikes me as much brighter than the 575 lumens rating even more than my old CFL cans that had much higher lumens ratings. I also think it casts a nice warm colored light.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 9:21PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
a2gemini

Thanks Polie
I like the finished look of the Cooper but like the 2700K a bit better.
Testing both right now
I do plan on a dimmer

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 9:24PM
More Discussions
Buzzing LEDs
I'm exploring LEDs for a new build, and so far, not...
mtvhike
MR16 vs GU10
What is the difference between MR16 and GU10 halogen...
mtvhike
Entry light for awkward design
What should we do for a light at the front door? It...
sakami
Retrofitting off-sized recessed lighting with LEDs-Help?
We are renovating our just-purchased apartment and...
lindy74
Recessed Lighting Layout for Kitchen
Hi, everyone. I know this is asked all the time, but...
firefox15
Sponsored Products
Progress Lighting Recessed Lighting 4 in. White Recessed Open Trim P8145-28
$27.63 | Home Depot
Area Rug: Kurdamir Starlight Crimson 5' x 7' 7"
Home Depot
Colorful Distressed Wood Crates (Set of 3)
Overstock.com
Elk Lighting 8.75-12.25H in. Sphere Finials - Set of 3 - 93-9814
$126.00 | Hayneedle
Elkay Gourmet (Lusterstone) Stainless Steel Extra Large Single Bowl Undermount S
Overstock.com
Denby Monsoon Lucille Silver Large Mug - Set of 2 - DENB283
$25.98 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™