Sayde, sayde, show us your kitchen, please

honorbiltkitJanuary 7, 2012

This is a response to the call -- in a recycled kitchen thread -- for a presentation of sayde's kitchen, my favorite in all of KitchenForumdom, on both aesthetic and conceptual grounds. It does retain some of its original features, but recycled just isn't the word. And, although sayde seems to think it has been overexposed, I think it has been released in dribs and drabs, with larger concept being lost.

The photo that took my breath away was of the kitchen unfinished. The Vermeer-worthy combination of luminosity and tranquillity just seemed to make it its perfect self. Here it is:

As you might surmise, no KD was involved in making this kitchen. Instead, it is the work of people who listened to what the kitchen wanted to be.

So, it is my hope that sayde will be unable to resist so heartfelt an invitation to show and tell.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sayde

HBK,
You continue to make me blush!

Allison wrote a lovely piece about the kitchen for AtticMag. If you google "vintage gumwood kitchen," you'll see it.

Here is a link to one photo. Would be happy to show/tell if anyone wants to see or know anything.

Thank you so much for your kind words!

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   January 7, 2012 at 6:21PM
allison0704

Here's a direct link: (thank you, Sayde)

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage Gumwood Kitchen

Bookmark   January 7, 2012 at 7:21PM
nini804

Swoon, thud...I just got a sugar rush from that simply stunning eye candy! Thank you so much for posting, I hadn't seen it before. I will stop typing now so I can scroll back up and gawk some more...

Bookmark   January 7, 2012 at 9:34PM
marthavila

Sayde's kitchen is definitely one for my "GW All Time Faves" list. Love it! Love it! Love it! There can never be too many photos of it.

Bookmark   January 7, 2012 at 10:05PM
littlealexa

Sayde, your kitchen is never overexposed. One of my favorites since it is a wood kitchen. Your made me dream of a white countertop when I initially wanted a black one...still undecided thanks to you!

Bookmark   January 7, 2012 at 10:19PM
farmgirlinky

Also an all-time favorite of mine, beautiful materials beautifully used, perfectly in keeping with the age of the house, perfect, sayde.
Lynn

Bookmark   January 7, 2012 at 10:39PM
pricklypearcactus

Oh wow! That is a beautiful and unique kitchen. Thanks so much for sharing.

Bookmark   January 7, 2012 at 11:27PM
justjill

Wow! I'm in love with this kitchen too.
Usually I'm not a fan of big (Mondern Aire?) type of hoods but yours is just GORGEOUS. I love how your hood matches the cabinets, it is definitely the prettiest hood I have seen.

The gum wood , and of course your entire kitchen, has sooooo much character. I would love to see pics of the rest of your house.
I bet it's amazing!

Bookmark   January 7, 2012 at 11:32PM
justjill

I just saw the Attic link-i have one of those Rocky burr grinders too. I'm happy to see it on prominent display on your counter too! My KD wanted to hide mine lol (along with my huge vibiemme 70lb vibiemme espresso machine).

Bookmark   January 7, 2012 at 11:44PM
anna_chosak

*sigh* That is such a swoonworthy heart-throb of a kitchen. I have a mad crush on it. Glad it got posted again for anyone who might have missed it before.

Bookmark   January 8, 2012 at 12:22AM
1929Spanish

I had never seen this kitchen either and it is beautiful. Another example of why new is not always better. Beautiful job.

**jumps over to Ebay to search Simplex**

Bookmark   January 8, 2012 at 11:14AM
honorbiltkit

sayde, I am going to try to chimaosu's post taken down, with the rest of the thread left intact. In return for this great feat, might you provide any insight on diy honing marble?

Meanwhile, I found this in my "drop box." Minus the countertop appliances, it might be from the 16th century, albeit with indoor plumbing. Sigh.

Cheers. hbk

Bookmark   January 8, 2012 at 11:21AM
schoolhouse_gw

Again, one of my favorite kitchens too. It reminds me of a staff kitchen in an estate house. I probably say the same thing every time I post on Sayde's kitchen photo threads. :)

Bookmark   January 8, 2012 at 12:06PM
allison0704

**jumps over to Ebay to search Simplex**

I had to research them too, after working with Sayde. I purchased a copper Simplex on etsy.

Bookmark   January 8, 2012 at 12:07PM
jkom51

I don't know how I missed seeing Sayde's kitchen before but I'm so glad this got posted. Magnificent, truly magnificent.

Bookmark   January 8, 2012 at 1:09PM
sayde

hbk
I just saw your questions about honing marble.

When ours was installed it was supposedly sealed but it was very blotchy -- and you could even feel rough places. My DH used an orbital sander with moistened fabric net pads. He went over the entire surface. It didn't take very long. Then we resealed.

I was surprised at how relatively easy it was. Now I know that if it gets etched we can fix it.

I have read so many concerns about marble getting etched. My own experience has shown me that although it can get etched it is easy to even out the surface again.

I am so glad that I wasn't dissuaded from getting marble counters. They are one of the things I love best about the kitchen. I'm not sure if my experience can be extrapolated to other kinds of marble. Mine is Eureka Danby from Vermont Marble Quarries.

Bookmark   January 11, 2012 at 9:55AM
BalTra

hbk thank you for calling for sayde to post more pics.
I am one who also missed this kitchen somehow.
WOW Sayde!

Making me want marble :)
Marble counters + cork flooring??? Formality of marble + casual cork?

Would it look weird?

What a special space, hope you are enjoying it!
-BT

Bookmark   January 11, 2012 at 10:16AM
CEFreeman

Very quietly elegant.
Peaceful and warm.

I can't wait to get my floors in. Cork. :)

Did you make or purchase your beautiful cabinets?

Bookmark   January 11, 2012 at 10:35AM
CEFreeman

Oops!
Just went to the Attic Mag and read all about you.
Just absolutely beautiful.
You've reconfirmed my desire for glass doors. I have 2, 42" cabinets I bought on CL, and 2 from a job my STBX did. They're so perfect for glass.

Just another $$ dream. :)

Thank you for the inspiration.
Christine

Bookmark   January 11, 2012 at 10:39AM
mama goose_gw zn6OH

Beautiful kitchen, sayde! I love the prints, the checkerboard floor, and that you kept so many of the original elements. I know there were reasons to redo the 70's update (from the atticmag link), but I love the look of that kitchen, too. Just wish you had a pic of those red formica tops!

Bookmark   January 11, 2012 at 11:02AM
shelayne

*sigh*

This kitchen is so wonderful in so many ways, it is just so fantatically home!

It looks like it belongs there and has been there and lovingly cared for...well forever. :^)

Sayde, it is such a labor of love and it shows. It's like a steaming cup of cocoa, wrapped in a warm, fluffy quilt, by a crackling fire, with a favorite book.

Mmmmmmm. *LOVE*

Bookmark   January 11, 2012 at 6:23PM
sayde

Thanks again for the kind words!

Those red formica tops! I can still remember them. When we moved in, in 1977, the gumwood cabinets were there, but there were red formica countertops with metal edges. The walls were covered in grey plastic tile. The floor was white and grey linoleum. The top of the walls and ceiling were dark yellow. The sink was a standalone metal unit. It was so ugly that I couldn't bring myself to unpack my kitchen stuff and eat there. We ate out for a year while we saved to do the first "refresh" (that was what you see in the photos with the blue green tile - which we put in in 1978). As bad as that blue-green kitchen was, it was a big improvement over what we found when we moved in.

Bookmark   January 11, 2012 at 8:14PM
Arapaho

sayde, beautiful kitchen! Every choice you made is perfect. Can you share the paint color on the wall with the framed prints?

Bookmark   January 31, 2012 at 11:29AM
sayde

arapaho, just saw your question. The paint is Benjamin Moore Aura in Linen White but mixed with twice the pigment. I got it from My Perfect Color -- they will do mixes at 2x or whatever you want.

Bookmark   February 16, 2012 at 11:39AM
aktillery9

What a truly wonderful and unique kitchen you have?

I was curious, do you love your Bluestar??

Thanks.
Amy

Bookmark   February 16, 2012 at 11:56AM
sayde

Amy
Yes I do love the BlueStar. Was very nervous about getting it, and had never had a gas oven before. But I do love it. Love the burners, love the broiler, love the rolling racks and love how easy it is to clean. And of course, love the looks of it in my kitchen -- it just works.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 7:00PM
deedles

Sayde,

Are your uppers 42"? I'm trying to find pictures of 42" uppers with glass.

Thanks

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 4:14AM
sayde

The glass cupboards are about 60 inches tall by 44 inches wide. There is only about 12 inches between the bottom of these cupboards and the counters -- that's how they did it back then!

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 7:55AM
agmss15

Beautiful! It looks like a kitchen too. I have been looking at lots and lots beautiful kitchen photos that look like no-one would ever dare use.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 8:53AM
honorbiltkit

Mea culpa. I started this thread with a photo of Sayde's kitchen before her backsplash was in, and I still think it was especially Vermeeresque in that state.

Unfortunately, in doing some housekeeping on my picasa account, I managed to remove that photo from a public album, which is why that giant exclamation mark appears above.

Here is the original picture.

As you can tell, The Girl with the Pearl Earring has just existed left.

Sorry for the confusion. hbk

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 11:26AM
ailene54

Sayde what a beautiful and unique kitchen, I love it!!

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 1:54PM
homeagain

Wow, this is gorgeous! I don't how I missed this the first time. You've done a wonderful job of creating a period kitchen that fits the style of your home while updating functionality.

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 2:26PM
More Discussions
Please help with Kitchen floorplan
Hello everyone, My husband and I are building a new...
mary8153
Can you help me make an idea board?
After looking more realistically at our kitchen renovation...
dmeah
Any reason a DW couldn't go next to a fridge?
We need to pull the trigger on our cabinets next week,...
gretchen718
Cherry and White Granite Kitchen Reveal - Lots of Photos!
First of all- this is a thank you post to the Gardenweb...
jenibufford
Does this butler pantry addition add or detract from my kitchen?
My midcentury home has a very open plan and lots of...
rockybird
Sponsored Products
33" Optimum Rectangular Stainless Steel Bar Sink - Polished Rim
Signature Hardware
Atlanta Braves Shot Glass Set
$18.99 | zulily
15" x 90" Runner
$88.90 | Horchow
angelo:HOME Marnie 30 in. Bar Stool - Spring Leaf - BS30-PMF62-LBA
$193.97 | Hayneedle
Foscarini | Diesel Collection Metal Glass Round Multipoint Pendant
$870.00 | YLighting
Brushed Nickel Whitehaus WHKBTLV3-9206 Curved Spout Style Bridge Faucet
$679.00 | Blue Bath
Globe Electric Path & Landscape Lights 4 in. Open Indoor/Outdoor White Recessed
$11.25 | Home Depot
INSPIRE Q Paulina Tan Chenille Round Back Dining Chair (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™