Question - Brand of 4-inch Halogen Recessed for Remodel

yauponFebruary 13, 2013

I am in the process of a remodel and am trying to decide on a brand of 4-inch halogen low-voltage dimmable housing for about 50 lights.

My contractor is a fan of the Nora brand of this project, but I have found a supplier of Elite products that can provide the housing for signficantly less.

In addition, the trim the contractor is familiar with is Elco, and again, the supplier with the good price has suggested a comprable Elite product.

My contractor's preference for Nora is that with the installation of thousands of this brand of lights he has had no humming or complaints from clients. His suggestion is that I pay $15 - $20 more for each Nora housing to insure that the humming is not an issue.

Can I substitute the Elite housing for the Nora without a loss of quality, and likewise substitute the Elite baffle for the Elco for the same reason?

In addition, is one housing easier than another to install? Will the electrician have a more difficult time with either brand?

Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lascatx

I only have 6 4-inch fixtures, but they were going through those halogen bulbs faster than I thought they should and the bulbs were getting more and more expensive. I still need them for my vent hood, but we replaced the halgens with LED kits. The look is cleaner, the light is better and they don't build up the heat that the halogens do. If I had 50 of them, I'd certainly go with the LEDs.

Bookmark   February 19, 2013 at 12:02PM
More Discussions
Let's brainstorm all about lighting and scene controls
Hi everyone, Let's face it, understanding lighting...
ontariomom
Questions re: installing a linear light fixture with a sloped ceiling
I'm interested in a chandelier from the Kichler Triad...
texasgal47
Accent Eyeball lighting for Artwork
Any recommendations for size and type of eyeball light?...
lake72
Dining Room Lighting - Pendant too large?
I would like to remove my 6-globe chandelier and replace...
cubby325
Kitchen light fixture inadequate.
I love school lights but I need at least 400 watts...
Anne Jones
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™