Short life on Halogen G8 bulbs: Help w/options

hboyFebruary 17, 2009

We have pairs of small floodlights (3"d x 6"l enclosures) mounted under the soffit at the corners of our home. They are on photocells, and function as security and decorative lighting.

These fixtures take a 50 to 100 watt halogen G8 Bi-pin bulb.

We are experiencing a maximum of 3 months life for the bulbs, usually shorter. Since some of the fixtures are also difficult to access, living with this problem has become a real pain.

Any suggestions such as: changing to different fixtures/lamping (ie. MR16), going Low Voltage, or using LED's?? We have tried different brands of halogen, with no improvement.

Thanks for looking, and for any advice you may have!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dim4fun

Typical lamp life for those can be from 1200 to 2000 hours depending on who makes them. 1200 hour lamps would give you about 100 days if burning all night. Xenon lamps are available in G8 and should give you several times that life span. Xenon lamps tend to be a little larger so try one to see if it fits in the fixture.

Make sure you aren't touching the halogen lamps with your bare skin when installing them. The oil from your skin ruins the lamp when it heats up.

Bookmark   February 18, 2009 at 10:47AM
More Discussions
Hubbardton Forge
Does anyone by chance have their Icarus and/or Mobius...
anniel58
Any opinions on "all-in-one" housing/trim/bulb LED combo kits?
There are a couple "all-in-one" recessed...
progressnerd
2015 Title 24 and LEDs
Hello all, I'm looking to install LEDs in a house that...
elcabezon
Sylvania vs. EcoSmart retrofit
I have seen these two brands compared many times with...
linae
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™