Oh, no! Another kitchen island lighting question?

coffeehausFebruary 19, 2009

Our kitchen will have 3 mono-point pendants over our island, spaced 18 inches apart. I'm looking at a low-voltage LBL fixture that comes in either a 3.5 inch shade/35w or 5.75 inch shade/50w with xenon bi-pin bulb. I like the smaller size shade, as it would be less intrusive, but I'm concerned about the amount of light for task lighting on the island. On the other hand, I could always dim the 50w lamps if it seems too bright. We'll have recessed cans (LR6) as well, but they are in line with the edges of the counters, so no cans over the island.

I've tried to figure lumens with these bulbs, and the best I can tell is that the 35w produces 420 lumens, and the 50w produces 600 lumens (this gleaned from commercial websites selling similar replacement bulbs, I think!). The island is about 3.5x6 ft., or 21 sq. ft. Would the three 35w xenon bulbs suffice, or should I go with 50w?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bigdog0598

What pendent are you looking at? Some just look better in there bigger size.... Either way your fine but let me know which pendent becuqse I've seen almost everyone....I'm one of the top 100 lbl dealers in the country

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 12:05PM
coffeehaus

Clay I and Clay II

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 1:14PM
bigdog0598

i had a feeling thats what you were talking about....don't forget you can put a MR16 and get a ton of downlight.....i would use a 50 in that b/c it does cut out some light so it won't be overly glarey. just so you know that one does look like ceramic but is glass.....i'm at One Stop Lighting in thousand oaks, CA if you want to look it up and get a price....let me know, i'd go with the bigger one.....small is small for a pendent, its better as a spot light then a pendent....

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 10:54PM
More Discussions
Recessed lighting - Remodel (yes/no) LED Can and Trim/Engine (model)
Hi, I want to install recessed lighting in my house...
firsthome_sfh
Which would you pick for an LED step light / night light
We are in the rough-in stage of our new build, and...
Sun43
Please help us get rid of buzz from dimming LED can lights
I cross posted this in Kitchens, but am hopeful someone...
laughablemoments
Kitchen light fixture inadequate.
I love school lights but I need at least 400 watts...
Anne Jones
Better to over illuminate living room but add a dimmer?
187 square foot living room. electrician wants to install...
evanderleeuw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™