Laundry Hampers

PostvtSeptember 11, 2012

I planned my laundry room around nice double pullout hampers (2 sets) of these -- http://www.rev-a-shelf.com/p-47-hamper-bottom-mount-aluminum-with-wire-bins-for-closet.aspx Unfortunately I didn't realize these were CLOSET depth and not CABINET depth.

I'm left with a ton of wasted space -- but I planned cabinets to fit these not the other Rev-a-shelf choices and I cannot find a way to get the 4 bins I wanted in there with the purchased items.

I have 2 24 inch wide cabinets and I want each to have 2 bins (dark/white each divided cold/warm water bins). I have suggested side by side mounting of the 11 7/8 wide ones but they aren't thinking that will work well. Has anyone tried that (in one cabinet)? Or if I could just buy baskets that size they could make a drawer base they sit in. I'm having a hard time finding something to buy that would fit in a 12 inch wide cabinet depth opening other than the whole roll out system.

OR the cabinet guy can make me a big divided drawer which would use all my space nicely - down side is nothing is removable (in my old house I never removed my removable rev-a-shelf baskets it just went straight to the washer) although w 4 bins the distance to the washer from the farthest bins might make me want them removable. That is one concern there. The other is do I really need something ventilated? They can make some holes in the large drawer if I want -- but the ventilated baskets or canvas of the purchased systems end up in a closed cabinet anyway. Does it matter? Does anyone have a solid wood hamper?

The other option would to build some sort of frame to hang canvas bags I buy or have made from. I'm not sure what exactly I need to tell him to make for this. I can look at some of the hanging bag hampers you can buy for ideas -- but curious if anyone has done this.

I also have 2 sets of these lovely hampers for sale).

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dave1812

1. ventilation: good.

2. more ventilation: better

3. shortest time clothes sit in hamper (with max ventilation) : best.

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 6:05PM
mydreamhome

Can you exchange the Rev-A-Shelf bins you have for another Rev-A-Shelf product? We did the double bins, but we opted for the trash bins as they were larger--1 bin holds an entire load of clothes. They come in full height and under cabinet height. Here's a pic of ours...

Hope this helps!

Bookmark   September 12, 2012 at 7:17PM
mydreamhome

I just looked at your post again and noticed the measurements of the cabinets. With 2-24" cabinets to work with, you could move the divider, add an additional divider and have room for 3 of the pullouts like I have which would give you 6 bins. Or you could just go with 2-16" cabinets with double bins & have an additional cabinet for storage.

Bookmark   September 13, 2012 at 9:22AM
Postvt

Cabinets are built and in so not much I can do. Had I realized my mistake I would have sized for something like you have, I think we can get 2 11 3/4 units in or make a drawer to hold something, Bummer as I totally planned around these pullouts it totally missed the depth on them!! A lot I could have done if I didn't already have the two 24 inch cabinets!!

Bookmark   September 15, 2012 at 11:13PM
mydreamhome

If you are set on leaving the cabinet boxes as-is, what about a 24" single door full height pull like I have? I think you could get 2 cans placed side by side perpendicular to the door & 1 can placed in there parallel to the door.

Another option would be to put a single jumbo size hamper in each one with a 24" door.

Yet another, would be to do like you suggested and turn the can perpendicular to to the door--1 in each side of the cabinet should work. Maybe you could put a smaller can in too for delicates or things that need pretreating.

I measured, and my cans are 14-7/8" x 10-1/2". As far as structure, my DM has her trashcans set up the same as mine, but the cans fit in a "drawer" built into the bottom of the slide. A few months back, Lowe's had some metal hamper sliding "drawers" that would work to set a bin into on clearance. That may be worth checking out.

Hope this helps!

Bookmark   September 16, 2012 at 4:18PM
mydreamhome

Here's a $40 fix for you from Rev-A-Shelf with 2 backets set side by side perpendicular to the door front...

http://www.rev-a-shelf.com/p-395-double-bottom-mount-wide-waste-containers.aspx?special=:Web:Closeouts:

Bookmark   September 17, 2012 at 8:39AM
More Discussions
Speed Queen Front Load AFN50 Washer Review - Long Post
I have been lurking here for a while as one of many...
sandiego_steve
Kenmore Elite Front Load Washer Smell
We have a two year old Kenmore Elite Front Load Washer...
joechsle
Stacking washer and dryers of different makes
I just learned that my Kenmore washer was beyond repair...
deleomeyer
Dark color spots on clothes after washing/drying
I have been having having this issue for months now...
tylerr27
Removing ink on silk?
Anyone knows how to remove ink on silk. Much appreciated....
yugoslava
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™