Trim Rings around Recessed Lighting..Do they come off??

netshoundFebruary 24, 2007

OK...I'm new at this so don't laugh!! I need to paint my kitchen ceiling and we have recessed lighting. Do the white trim rings come off and if so..how? Is it easy to do? Thanks!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon1270

The ring is generally permanently attatched to the cone that goes up into the can, and the whole assembly can be removed. A wide variety of mechanisms are used to hold the trims in place. Some are held in place by springs that push out against the sides of the can itself. Some have toothed springs that bite into the soft metal of the can and make them a bit harder to remove. Others have wire clips that extend up into slots in the sides of the can (pull down and squeeze clips to release) while still others can be disengaged by twisting them one way or another. Some can be removed while the bulbs are in place, and some can't. You'll just have to play around a bit to figure out how yours work.

It occurs to me that some very inexpensive cans have their trim rings built into the can itself; in that case, you might be able pull the whole fixture down enough to paint around it.

Bookmark   February 25, 2007 at 8:44AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
netshound

Oh Boy!! Maybe it's better for me to just tape around them! :) I'm not very handy but I am trying to be. My husband is not handy at all unless it's working on his car so I figure one of us should be when it comes to this stuff :)!! Thanks for the info. I'll try and see what type I have and go from there. I just don't want to ruin them since they are brand new!! Thanks again.

Bookmark   February 25, 2007 at 9:22AM
More Discussions
linen lighting shades
do linen shades hold up well in bathrooms?
wldougall
2015 Title 24 and LEDs
Hello all, I'm looking to install LEDs in a house that...
elcabezon
Has Anything Changed In Recessed LCD Lighting Since 2012?!?
GW, Hello everyone! Just wanted to say that this is...
AndrewDK
What size fixture for bathroom lighting?
I'm choosing overhead bathroom lighting for a guest...
magsmayers
Questions re: installing a linear light fixture with a sloped ceiling
I'm interested in a chandelier from the Kichler Triad...
valpogal47
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™