Resizing A Pendant Light

cottageandcreekFebruary 22, 2011

Hi all,

I'd like to purchase a Hudson Valley schoolhouse pendant for over my sink and I'm wondering how easy it is to size it correctly when it's the kind with the solid pole stem. It states it's 66-1/2" in length by 7-1/2" wide. It must come in section, though the website doesn't state that nor does the actual Hudson Valley site state that it comes in sections, like some of the stem-type pendants do. Is it as simple as cutting the stem with a hack saw? Or do you just configure it according to whatever pieces come with it? I read the light should be hung 40-inches above the kitchen prep space. Does that seem good? Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brickeyee

"It states it's 66-1/2" in length by 7-1/2" wide. "

The pole?

That is huge. The "7-1/2" wide" must be the globe of the fixture.

The pole is actually electrical conduit with a decorative finish.
Depending on what method is available to make joints (threaded fittings or clamps) you may be able to just cut it down as needed, or you may need to be able to cut threads after cutting it down.

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 12:29PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roadbike

It's likely a thin wall pipe and not solid so a hacksaw should easily cut it to length. Read the directions and determine how how the pieces will fit together after you make a cut. Measure accurately because you don't want to piece things back together. I would gauge the height by how much headroom is needed, other available lighting and what you want to light.

Bookmark   March 1, 2011 at 2:52PM
More Discussions
Yet another kitchen lighting plan review request
I've been reading a lot here and elsewhere trying to...
funkycamper
Light fixtures for cove lighting
Greetings, I am constructing cove lighting in a small...
impster
Has Anything Changed In Recessed LCD Lighting Since 2012?!?
GW, Hello everyone! Just wanted to say that this is...
AndrewDK
New kitchen lights - regular cans with retrofIt LED kit or LED cans?
Frankly, I don't know what "LED cans" look...
linae
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™