Track Lighting Question

andersogFebruary 28, 2011

I have a track lighting system in which the strip is line voltage, and each light fixture has a transformer in it which converts to low voltage. Is it an issue in a single track to have different bulb types and wattages? I have 2 strips, each with 4 halogens, and aside from the 400 W of energy, it gets hot in my kitchen in the summer. I was thinking of switching some of the bulbs to LED's to lower the power useage and heat generated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DavidR

I don't see any harm in changing some or all of your lights to lower wattage incandescent bulbs, if they're available.

I've also seen a few low voltage LED retrofit lamps that look like they'd work with track lights.

Be careful, though - a lot (maybe the majority) of LED manufacturers' and vendors' claims for incandescent equivalence are completely bogus. I see vendors claiming a 1 watt LED is equivalent to a 20 watt incandescent, or that a 3 watt LED is equal to a 40 or 60 watt incandescent. This is WAY off the mark. Compare lumen output, not equivalence claims.

Many of the cheap LED retrofits also don't come close to their advertised average life.

Bookmark   March 2, 2011 at 11:54PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andersog

Thanks. I have a few LED bulbs which use considerably less energy, however as you say they provide less actual light output. As a result I was planning on only switching half of the lights to LED's. I have 2 - 6 foot tracks, each with 4 lights, currently 50 W each = 200 W. If I replace just half of the lights I'd save almost 200 W and the heat output in my kitchen would be less (ie I would replace 2 on each track to balance the lighting).

Bookmark   March 3, 2011 at 7:40AM
More Discussions
What should be dimmable in my kitchen?
We are doing a kitchen renovation, and like most new...
progressnerd
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
linen lighting shades
do linen shades hold up well in bathrooms?
wldougall
Hubbardton Forge
Does anyone by chance have their Icarus and/or Mobius...
anniel58
Sylvania vs. EcoSmart retrofit
I have seen these two brands compared many times with...
linae
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™