CREE L4 vs L6

midwestmamaFebruary 27, 2010

We are looking to use CREE LED lights on our new build. We are trying to determine which ones to use. I know the L4 and L6 refer to the size, but does this also relate to the light output? Is one better than another? I've read several people state they buy them online, where have you found the best deal?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
azlighting

L6 is used for general lighting tasks: hallway, living room, kitchen, etc.

L4 is used for spot lighting: pictures, insets, etc...

Bookmark   February 27, 2010 at 11:58PM
midwestmama

That makes sense, thanks. We were just debating tonight whether or not recessed lights would be too spotlight-y for our hallway. Do the L6 have more of a soft effect then, where it would diffuse the light enough to be the sole source of light in hallways?

Bookmark   February 28, 2010 at 12:02AM
azlighting

That all really depends on the options you get for the fixture, and the spacing, generally no more than 6 ft. center to center.
Here is a link to the specs. page.
http://www.creelighting.com/downloads/LR6%20ss.pdf

For a soft warm light, I would recommend looking at the wheat reflector with the 2700K lamp. Or if you want more general daylight lighting, look at the 3500K lamp with either the anodized or pewter reflector. you can also see at the bottom of page two there are two tables, one for hallway placement, and another for general room layouts.

Bookmark   March 1, 2010 at 11:36PM
David

The LR-6 lights have sufficient light diffusion.

FWIW, Cree will have CR-6 lights available in a couple of months. SRP $40 - $60.

Bookmark   March 14, 2010 at 12:57AM
midwestmama

Wow, FWIW, 50% off our can lights is worth a lot! We haven't broken ground yet (but hope to VERY VERY soon) If they aren't released yet by the time we are ready to install lights, can we just install cans and when its time add the lights? Do they use regular cans, wiring, etc??? I may add a few more lights now! :)

Bookmark   March 14, 2010 at 12:26PM
David

The standard edison base cans can be used with existing LR6. The GU 24 LR6 lamps come with a conversion kit that enable the light to be used with most title 24 cans.

Probably yes. So long as CFL cans are not used, it should be a relatively easy conversion.

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/home/2010/01/cree-cr6-led-lightbulb-recessed-downlight-cfls-consumer-reports-product-preview.html

Bookmark   March 15, 2010 at 12:02AM
More Discussions
how many lamps in a bathroom heat lamp?
Bathroom is about 140sq5 ft. What do you'll think?...
growingadvice
Durable Outdoor Motion Sensor Light
I would like some recommendations on quality, durable...
happs
thoughts on WAC Lighting LEDme Pro Light Bars
title says it all - any feedback on this brand and...
lmgch
Quality of LED fixtures from different manufacturers
Hello! Does anyone know how LED light fixtures from...
linae
Pendant light shades
Hi! New to the forum- don't know what took me so many...
chelseahasrouni
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™