My Philips Ew Profile LED's are humming!

corgimumFebruary 4, 2013

DH installed them this weekend and they all hum! Any idea why? I can post a diagram of how he set it up if that helps diagnose the problem.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jacob-md

Are you using a dimmer with them? What is the make and model of the dimmer?

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 3:04PM
corgimum

Yes, the Lutron Skylark Model #CTCL-153PDH-LA. This is the same dimmer we are using for our recessed LED lighting and have no hum there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lutron dimmer

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 3:16PM
jacob-md

The humming is almost certainly caused by the dimmer; you could try changing it out for a regular switch to confirm it.

It's a bit hard to tell, but Lutron's support materials and a review on the Home Depot site appear to suggest that this dimmer is not compatible with ELV transformer loads. The eW Profile strips require a reverse-phase ELV dimmer; Philips does not list suggested dimmers.

The Home Depot review suggests calling Lutron Technical Support at 800-523-9466. I don't have a dimmer on mine, but other members may be able to list dimmers that have worked for them.

See page 100 of the Lutron spec guide PDF linked below; you'll see that while the Skylark dimmer is listed as working with ELV loads, the Skylark Contour is not.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/lutron-skylark-contour-150-watt-single-pole-3-way-cfl-led-dimmer---white-ctcl-153pdh-wh.html#.URAc5og2tE4

I also found a compatibility chart from Lutron for the eW Profile Powercore strips at http://www.lutron.com/en-US/ResourceLibrary/LEDReportCard/LED_120V%20eW%20Profile-41%20Report%20Card.pdf

This also lists the Skylark SELV-300P dimmer, but not the Skylark Contour dimmer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lutron dimmer spec guide

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 4:01PM
corgimum

Wow- that is very helpful. Thanks! I guess that was a detail we neglected to research. We will try changing out the switch and then decide whether to get the Skylark or forget about dimming. I will call Lutron to confirm that it will work.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 6:47PM
David

The dimmer has to be an ELV dimmer.

Bookmark   February 4, 2013 at 7:23PM
brickeyee

There are numerouse ways to dessign the AC to DC power suplies for low voltage devices.

Some of the designs are easily adapted to 'standard' (TRIAC) dimmers, others require some of the other dimmer types available.

You have to ask each manufacturer what dimmer type they recommend, since they often have different power supply designs.

Even power supply size (watts) can affect the type of dimmer it was designed to operate with.

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 12:31PM
More Discussions
Bedroom Lighting Advice?
I just came up with a first draft for lighting in our...
schicksal
Artwork lighting with recessed cans
I have 6" recessed can lights throughout my house....
sch9171
Pendant light shades
Hi! New to the forum- don't know what took me so many...
chelseahasrouni
What light would look nice over the sink?
Hi, I'm stumped trying to find a pendant light to go...
sweetoo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™