Kitchen lighting options for 7 foot ceiling

Maine_MareFebruary 28, 2012

I was in the kitchen forum and they suggested I pop over here to get the input from this forum.

I'm renovating my kitchen and have some design challenges. The kitchen is a small room with 7' ceilings in an 1810 cape. I currently have a schoolhouse type light only and plan to replace that with a different style but same idea (with the benefit of updated wiring). I had also planned two pendant lights over the sink. They are recycled telegraph insulators (see link below).

Those in the kitchen forum were concerned that the pendants would be fussy when combined with the low ceiling.

What are your thoughts?

I'm not a big fan of recessed lighting but could resign myself to it if it is the best for a kitchen with such a low ceiling. I'm also having a very hard time finding a schoolhouse light that won't become a hazard to my 6'+ husband so recessed lighting could take care of that problem too.

We are doing a renovation that will honor the age of the house while updating what hasn't been touched in decades (such as adding grounded electricity). So I would like something that is reflective of our intention and is charming/quirky/unique.

Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Telegraph pendants

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

Is it possible to raise the ceiling?

I've written up a short description for LED recessed lighting on this forum. I think you will be pleasently surprised at the difference between LED lights for recessed cans vs conventional recessed cans.

Here is a link that might be useful: LED recessed can guide

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 1:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Maine_Mare

Unfortunately, no. My contractor checked the attic area above the kitchen and the framing is early 20th century so not beams that can be exposed and the cost of a complete ceiling raise isn't in our budget nor will the cost be a good use of funds in our area in this economy.

Thank you for the LED write up, I'll read that during my next work break.

Bookmark   February 28, 2012 at 2:21PM
More Discussions
Alternative to pot/can lights
Spoke to my GC yesterday and he suggested that I use...
abbabug
Light fixtures for cove lighting
Greetings, I am constructing cove lighting in a small...
impster
Pendant help
Hello, Does anyone know where I can buy these lovely...
Nicole Falla
Outdoor pendant lights for tree
I'm looking to recreate something like this installation...
jamescmeehan
Pixi Lighting
Has anyone used the pixi lighting yet? It seems like...
stlblufan
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™