Track light in center of room?

globe199February 1, 2011

Do you think it's OK to mount a track light in the center of a bedroom? Seems like they're usually closer to walls.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
globe199

My concern is getting enough light. It's a lower level bedroom on the north side of the house, so there's not much natural light. Right now I have two 2x2 fluorescent fixtures in the suspended ceiling. Those lights will go away. I want to make sure I can get nice, bright, warm light in this room. I'm thinking that a track light is the only way to go, since there's too much stuff above the ceiling grid to install a good array of recessed lights.

Thanks.

Bookmark   February 1, 2011 at 11:36AM
DavidR

I'd use one or more conventional surface mount fixtures. That's probably going to be the easiest, most effective, and lowest cost approach.

Track lights are directional devices - better than cans since at least you can aim the light, but still not so good for overall room lighting.

Bookmark   February 1, 2011 at 12:36PM
globe199

Is there something you could suggest? I want something that looks nice. Appearance is a consideration here, which is why I'm looking at track lighting.

Bookmark   February 1, 2011 at 12:42PM
DavidR

Is there something you could suggest?

That would be kind of tough without seeing the room. What I'd choose would depend on the height of the ceiling, the size of the room, and the style of the house. (As an old house fan, I tend to gravitate toward that style of fixture.)

And besides, what I'd choose would never match your taste. I'm just recommending that you look at surface mount fixtures.

Sorry to be so vague, but I'd suggest spending some time in a local lighting showroom, or at least look around online.

Bookmark   February 3, 2011 at 12:14AM
David

From your description, it seems that the 2x2 fluorescent fixtures are currently recessed into the ceiling.
Options
1. Replace the current fluorescent tubes with those that produce warmer light (2700k).
2. Flat LED panel lights in place of the fluorescent fixtures. There are a variety available.

3. Cover the recessed spots and install some surface mounted fixture

Bookmark   February 3, 2011 at 12:36PM
More Discussions
Entry light for awkward design
What should we do for a light at the front door? It...
sakami
Looking for vendors of outdoor lighting
I am looking for quality outdoor wall lighting . I...
fiftyfab
Need help with recessed lighting placement
We're working on a total remodel of our kitchen. The...
judydenver
thoughts on WAC Lighting LEDme Pro Light Bars
title says it all - any feedback on this brand and...
lmgch
Quality of LED fixtures from different manufacturers
Hello! Does anyone know how LED light fixtures from...
linae
Sponsored Products
10-light Crystal and Satin Chrome Semi Flush Fixture
Overstock.com
Quoizel Tavern 5-Light Dark Bronze Chandelier
Lamps Plus
Kichler Sterling Manor Select Transitional Ceiling Fan
1800Lighting
Illumine Outdoor Lighting. 1-Light Outdoor Wall Sconce Stainless Steel Finish Fr
$84.97 | Home Depot
Brushed Nickel Chandelier 9-Light
PLFixtures
31'' Fleur De Lis Aged Stone Lamp
$169.99 | zulily
Los Feliz Outdoor Pendant by Troy Lighting
$1,030.00 | Lumens
Navigator 12 in. World Globe - WP11002
$79.99 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™