Need help w/ lighting for shelf over alcove.

bldn10February 13, 2010

I am going to have a shelf (like a mantel) above my range alcove and want it to be lit and dimmable. Above the shelf will be a 1' deep soffit that hides some ductwork, and the lighting can be installed in the bottom of it. Looking at xenon puck lights but the ones available locally are plug-in w/ in-line swiches. That won't work. Can I replace the switch w/ a dimmer and install in a switch box?

Bill/Memphis

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
housavvy

Sure. I have some in my house that are dimmed from a wall switch. You could also do mini cans.

Bookmark   February 16, 2010 at 12:10PM
bldn10

Thanks; I had about given up on any replies. Did yours start life as wired w/ the in-line switch or was it hardwired to begin w/? I know that electricians aren't crazy about having lamp cord w/o access, and it's not Code, but I don't see how it will be a problem.

Bill/Memphis

Bookmark   February 17, 2010 at 10:51AM
bldn10

Thanks but I bought some yesterday at Lowe's. What I got was a set of 5 xenon pucks that came w/ a 3-position, touch dimmer. The nice thing about that is that I don't have to install a box or switch - the little button just sticks to any surface. I like the fact taht it is all made to work together and I'm not "rigging" anything. I have used Pegasus products before, though.

Bill/Memphis

Bookmark   February 19, 2010 at 10:11AM
More Discussions
What should be dimmable in my kitchen?
We are doing a kitchen renovation, and like most new...
progressnerd
linen lighting shades
do linen shades hold up well in bathrooms?
wldougall
Bulkhead pots in teeny bathroom
I'm so not a lighting expert! What's the forum members'...
Studio Design
Davidtay/Others - Recommended efficient T8 bulbs?
I'm hoping that davidtay will see this but would welcome...
oldbat2be
Help with different types of LED recessed lighting please!
Can someone explain the basic differences in the different...
Michelle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™