Bushel of Freestone peaches

ryseryse_2004July 22, 2014

Last year I froze them and was not happy with the outcome. They were mushy and had to be used right away after thawing or they turned.

Would I have better luck canning them? The store-bought ones in the cans are so nice and firm (don't taste that good though).

I hate to pass up the bushel but would like a better end product. Help?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lpinkmountain

They can up great, any kind of syrup you want--light or heavy. I do mine with a cinnamon stick, you can spice them up all kinds of ways, add some candied ginger, etc.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 1:00PM
arley_gw

Alton Brown sez to use some sugar and vitamin C when freezing to help maintain texture.

He also adds smoked paprika! I might pass on that.

Here is a link that might be useful: AB's frozen peaches

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 2:12PM
dcarch7

Dehydrate, peach leather.

Peach ice cream.

dcarch

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 7:27PM
annie1992

I agree, they can nicely, although they are not as firm as the ones from the store. They are softer, but taste infinitely better.

I also freeze some, because those are better for baked goods like pies and cobblers.

I also make a peach syrup for pancakes with small pieces of peaches in it, it was Dad's favorite.

Annie

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 7:31PM
Islay_Corbel

Peach jam.

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 1:51AM
lpinkmountain

Yes, they are softer because if you do them yourself you are more likely to use ripe peaches. Which is why they taste better. I wouldn't say the texture was too mushy, but not real firm either. For me, canned peaches are less like eating a peach and more for mixing in with things like pancake or cake topping, with yogurt or ice cream, smoothies, etc. I mostly use mine for a simple dessert topped with granola and yogurt and nuts, or grilled with sour cream and brown sugar. I have used them for cake too. But I use the frozen ones if I want peach pie out of season. I usually make peach raspberry pie with frozen berries too.

Bookmark   July 23, 2014 at 4:42PM
cherig22

I have frozen them in half, and then either eat them quick at thawing, or canned them immediately. This year I will not be so lay to can them, and they should be fine.

I froze them with orange and lime juice but they still get brown within a day. But I can eat some and make a peach pie, and they are fine. Such picky fruit!

Cheri

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 10:51PM
cherig22

I have frozen them in half, and then either eat them quick at thawing, or canned them immediately. This year I will not be so lay to can them, and they should be fine.

I froze them with orange and lime juice but they still get brown within a day. But I can eat some and make a peach pie, and they are fine. Such picky fruit!

Cheri

Bookmark   July 25, 2014 at 10:52PM
bettyd_z7_va

Make Peach Salsa!

YUMMY!

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 1:23AM
annie1992

Incidentally, if you open a couple of Vitamin C capsules and dissolve them in a bowl of water, you can peel and slice the peaches right into the acidulated water and it keeps the fruit from browning. Works for apples, peaches, pears, pretty much any fruit and a whole lot cheaper than Fruit Fresh/etc.

Annie

Bookmark   August 2, 2014 at 1:58AM
More Discussions
Happy Birthday Lars!!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY LARS! Wishing you a joyous year filled...
compumom
Where is the canning forum now? :(
I'm not finding the canning forum. Can someone help...
gardnpondr
Fat Tuesday, and More
As it turned out, a guest didn't want to come to the...
dcarch7
It just dawned on me.....
that there's no Recipe Exchange forum anymore under...
Jasdip
BISCUITS
Just made these biscuits, but felt they weren't worth...
Robert Givens
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™