Reveal bulb burning out in one day

wi-sailorgirlFebruary 8, 2011

I have two identical new pendants in my bathroom. They take T10 bulbs and I put GE Reveal bulbs (so much better) in both of them. One of them has been fine and the other burns out in one day. This has happened with two bulbs in the one pendant. We tested it with a voltmeter and everything looks fine. I put a regular (non-Reveal) bulb in it because that's all I had and it's been going strong for well over a week now. So why would the Reveal bulbs of the same wattage burn out when the regular bulb doesn't?

Could it be we happened to get a bad "batch" of Reveal bulbs? If something was wrong with the light fixture wouldn't the same thing happen with the regular bulb?

I'm perplexed.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DavidR

Could be a bad batch.

Another possibility: the "reveal" lamp might also produce more waste heat (especially since the envelope is tinted). If it builds up in the fixture, that might tend to shorten life.

The most common reason for premature failure of incandescent lamps is excessive vibration. Any chance that might apply here?

Bookmark   February 13, 2011 at 3:47PM
Granite_Man

The Reveal bulbs we have used have lasted an average of 1800 hours. Are all are used indoors and bedrooms. We have since switched over to the Sylvania Daylight series and have been much happier with their longevity.

Bookmark   February 19, 2011 at 11:43PM
wi-sailorgirl

No vibration issues, David, but I put a third Reveal bulb in and it has worked fine since I wrote this, so I guess I'm leaning toward it being a bad batch, which is pretty irritating. I may pick up the Sylvania Daylights next time.

Bookmark   February 22, 2011 at 1:55PM
More Discussions
What size fixture for bathroom lighting?
I'm choosing overhead bathroom lighting for a guest...
magsmayers
dining area lighting dilemma
We are building our retirement home, and have a large...
golfergirl29
Recessed Surface lights vs. Cans
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference between...
linae
Make an impact with some LED!
I thought I would share this with everyone. We have...
Matthew Siegler
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™