foyer - schoolhouse lights

mgabrielFebruary 24, 2010

We are building a new / old house and having trouble deciding the lighting in the foyer area. The foyer is 9' high x 6' wide, about 16' long. We were planning on using three semi flush schoolhouse lights. They will hang down about 1'. Will this make the ceiling to busy? Anyone else have a similar foyer? Any advice is appreciated.

Here is a link that might be useful: Schoolhouse light

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buddyrose

I love schoolhouse lights and have them in my kitchen and the powder room off the kitchen. I'm not sure about hanging 3 lights though. I know the hallway is 16' long but usually a hallway has one light on the ceiling, centered. Are you going to have a narrow table anywhere in the foyer? You could put a lamp on it for more light or sconces.

Anyway that's just my opinion... not written in stone. ;-)

Bookmark   February 28, 2010 at 4:38PM
dlr98004

I don't think you'll need 3 lights in a 15 foot hallway. We had 3 lights in a 30 foot hallway before we got recessed can lights. Our cans are about 5-6 feet apart (same as yours would be in a 15 foot hallway) and it works great for recessed lights but would be too much with dropped fixtures. I think 2 would be fine. IMHO! good luck!

Bookmark   March 11, 2010 at 9:06PM
missantarctica5

I agree with the other posters. In my 14-foot hallway, the designer recommended 2 fixtures, flush mounted so they wouldn't be too busy (the ceiling is only 8' high).

Bookmark   March 12, 2010 at 7:48PM
More Discussions
dining area lighting dilemma
We are building our retirement home, and have a large...
golfergirl29
Outdoor pendant lights for tree
I'm looking to recreate something like this installation...
jamescmeehan
MBR ceiling light or fan
Hi all, We have a farmhouse/colonial that was built...
Anthony
Alternative to pot/can lights
Spoke to my GC yesterday and he suggested that I use...
abbabug
New kitchen lights - regular cans with retrofIt LED kit or LED cans?
Frankly, I don't know what "LED cans" look...
linae
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™