softener goo in front load washer

new2charlottencSeptember 9, 2011

OK I consistently have this issue with my Duet washer. When the machine starts running, I see the softener dispensing down the side of the rubber ring. Then when I take clothes out the drain is FILLED with coagulated softener. It somehow becomes the consistency of a soft cheese or butter and is all gooped up in there. Does anyone have this problem and how do I fix it!!! It stops for a while, but I never know why or why it starts again. I usually use tide he detergent and either snuggle or downy softener. It doesn't matter if it's cold or hot water wash or which cycle I set it on. Any suggestions??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fahrenheit_451

Before you load your softener tray do you first dilute it with water?

Bookmark   September 10, 2011 at 12:56PM
sshrivastava

Softener should always be diluted before using. Even the instructions on my Downy F&S say so. Some people dilute with equal parts vinegar, however I find that my clothes are NOT as soft when the softener is diluted with vinegar. That's why I prefer diluting with water.

Bookmark   September 10, 2011 at 1:11PM
new2charlottenc

I have never diluted my softners but never had an issue before. (except back in the day when I didn't have softner dispenser built into the machine.) I did try the suggestion though, but no help. As soon as I closed the drawer. The softner ran out and was immediately "curdling". I ends up down the glass window, which the clothes then rub against and get softner stains from and under the rubber ring into the drain which clogs with it. This is driving me CRAZY!!! I can't figure out why the softener is dispensing at start in the first place!
I called whirlpool. They were no help at all!!!!

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 8:21AM
dadoes

What is the specific model machine involved?

Frontloader softener dispensers (and many toploaders) operate both by an overflow and a siphoning effect. The softener dose sits in the dispenser cup until fresh water flows in and overflows the cup to flush it out ... then when the water flow stops, *most* of the water siphons out to leave the cup empty. If the cup is overfilled with softener or the drawer is closed too fast/roughly that the content is jostled, siphoning may occur prematurely.

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 8:43AM
new2charlottenc

It's a Whirlpool Duet steam. I am definitely not over filling the cup, but, I will pay attention to how "roughly" I am closing the drawer. Maybe that's the problem. Good information. Thanks. Any clue why the softner is "curdling" though? It's soooooo gross!

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 10:35AM
asolo

Duet 9400....six years....I use Downy....I don't dilute and never have....the product is diluted when dispensed. Actually, that's pretty much how the dispenser works, as dadoes described.

Do not and never have had goo or residue problems with it.

Very clear to me that op's problem as described begins with pre-mature dispensing from the holding dispenser. It's either faulty or is being improperly used in some way. I would advise withholding other thoughts/opinions until that situation is corrected and the dispenser is operating as it should.

Bookmark   September 12, 2011 at 11:40AM
jenblossom32

The 100 degree heat in the garage curdled one of my Snuggle brand liquid softners. The heat can do it. I also rinse out my drawer in my kitchen sink when the detergent / softner drawer looks goopy.

Bookmark   September 15, 2011 at 9:23PM
More Discussions
Need help choosing a large capacity washer- whats the least bad option
I really want a Miele or a Speed Queen. That said,...
mwinfield
How to access Program Mode in Miele W3038
After almost four years without a washer yesterday...
recordaras
Favorite detergents again, please.
What are your favorite detergents (specify liquid or...
isherwood777
Is anyone happy with their front loader washer and dryer?
I am in the market for a new W/D set but all I read...
aprillh
which compact washer/dryer?
I really wanted the Miele touchtronic washer/dryer...
achase1961
Sponsored Products
Small Limo Sectional
Opulent Items
Pillow Top Porcelain Vessel Sink
MR Direct Sinks and Faucets
Element Headboard
Grandin Road
Flos | Clessidra Outdoor Wall Light
$695.00 | YLighting
Mendota Harbor Gray Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets