Display lighting

mdodFebruary 8, 2009

I have a recessed display area in an alcove that is 16" deep, 4' wide and 5'6" tall. I want to put a mirror on the back wall and glass shelves 10-12" deep. There are a couple of track lights but I need downlighting for the display since the space is recessed. The studs above break the space into three equal parts. I assume I will need to use three lights because I'd have to put the cans too far to the outside edge to clear the studs if I used only two. I'd like to use LED but they're still too steep so something with bulbs that I could convert to LED later would be great. Any suggestions for what type of lighting to use would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dim4fun

Use three 12 volt Philips Energy Advantage IR MR16 lamps/fixtures for a display niche like what you've described. LED replacements for MR16s are here now but not quite ready. They need to overcome optics problems and increase light output.

Bookmark   February 9, 2009 at 3:05PM
mdod

Thanks dim4fun. Any particular beam angle that you would recommend?

Bookmark   February 10, 2009 at 11:38AM
dim4fun

Choosing a beam angle partly depends on what you expect to see and what you are displaying. Objects on the top shelves block light from reaching lower shelves. Some want even illumination with wide beams and others want dramatic shadowing with narrow beams. If you don't know then you'll have to experiment and see what you like.

Bookmark   February 10, 2009 at 12:58PM
More Discussions
recessed lighting suggestions
I'm having recessed lights installed in two rooms this...
evanderleeuw
2015 Title 24 and LEDs
Hello all, I'm looking to install LEDs in a house that...
elcabezon
Alternative to pot/can lights
Spoke to my GC yesterday and he suggested that I use...
abbabug
Can I use a light fixture to define an entry??
We do not have a foyer. Our front door opens into the...
meanne74
dining area lighting dilemma
We are building our retirement home, and have a large...
golfergirl29
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™