Island pendants - how many, how far apart? Kitchen questions!!

ggcomboFebruary 25, 2007

The builder is bugging us for our lighting placement in the kitchen.

We are confused about how the lighting should be over the island, and in the kitchen in general.

We have 9 foot ceilings and really like the look of mini-pendants over the island (the ones we like are about 4")

The island is 5 feet x 3 feet. We thought of using 2 mini-pendants over the island approximately 2.5 feet apart. Is the spacing correct?

Is 2 too few, should I be using 3 instead?

With respect to the halogen pot lights, how should they be placed in the rest of the cooking area? Do people usually place them in the ceiling space between the counter and island, or closer to the edge of the counter? (the island is only a surface to be used for food prep, there is no sink or cooktop on the island).

THANKS FOR ANY HELP!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jon1270

The spacing of the pendants sounds pretty good. I'm skeptical that the little 4" models will look proportionate to the island, or cast enough light to work by, but that's probably not critical at this stage; it sounds like your builder just wants to install the rough wiring and ceiling boxes.

As for can placement, many builders prefer to put cans out over the aisle spaces. While this does make exact fixture placement more forgiving, it also makes it inevitable that your own body will cast a shadow over the area of counter where you're working. I'm of the 'directly over the counter edge' school of thought. This prevents such shadows, but also places noticable splashes of light across the upper cabinets, which makes it necessary to place these cans especially carefully. With 9' ceilings I'd probably use 5" or 6" cans, shoot for about 4' spacing over the counter edges, and plan to use 75 watt, 40-degree floods.

Bookmark   February 25, 2007 at 7:43AM
ggcombo

Thanks for the response...actually, the builder wants exact placement and numbers.

I kind of have my heart already set on the mini-pendants I saw...the are upside down triangluar cones...and so pretty :) the height is about 8 inches and the opening at the bottom is about 4 inches

So if I were to use these mini pendants, would you suggest that I use 3?

Thanks.

Bookmark   February 25, 2007 at 2:42PM
vickyg52

I have an island 8ft long and 36 in. deep. how many pendant lights can I place over it?

Bookmark   April 8, 2011 at 5:11PM
Boywonder

What should the spacing be for 6" pendant light fixtures over a 9' kitchen island?

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 6:52PM
brickeyee

What beam spread for the bulbs and how far form the counter are they?

Covering the area twice (100% overlap) reduces sharp shadows.

Bookmark   March 17, 2013 at 6:03PM
dancingsams

If it were me, I would use at least 3, maybe 4 mini pendants. Our island is 4 1/2' by 8'. We hung 4 pendants, evenly spaced and set in from the edges by about 1', in a square. Hanging three, I would suggest a triangle. Our ceiling is 10'.

Good luck!

Bookmark   March 22, 2013 at 4:48PM
More Discussions
What light would look nice over the sink?
Hi, I'm stumped trying to find a pendant light to go...
sweetoo
i found this on ebay
its a led strap very nice anf beautiful Specifications: Ø...
Ran Peretz
Need help finding black lantern sconces
I am trying to find black lantern lights like this....
marthasiny
MR16 vs GU10
What is the difference between MR16 and GU10 halogen...
mtvhike
My stairwell will be my photography gallery
I am going hang my photographs almost all the way to...
Gary Conrad
Sponsored Products
Lite Line 1-Light MR16 120-Volt Square White Track Lighting Head HD-TH312
$16.39 | Home Depot
Cinnamon Spice Circle Rings Giclee Glow Plug-In Swag
Lamps Plus
Monterey Mosaic Mini Pendant by Quoizel
$149.99 | Lumens
AF Lighting Silver Web 8287-1H Pendant - 8287-1H
$338.00 | Hayneedle
Olde Bronze Mini Pendant 1-Light
PLFixtures