Kitchen Remodel: Surface Mount Fluorescents?

wobbly1905February 15, 2012

We are remodeling out 12 x 12 kitchen. Existing lighting is provided by 1 48" 4 tube T-12 fluorescent fixture mounted on the ceiling, 2 incandescent cans over the sink, and a pendent lamp with 6 small candle bulbs. The microwave hood also provides light over the range.

The ceiling fluorescent fixture is ugly and must go, even though it provides adequate illumination. The soffet above the sink will be removed, so the cans must be removed or relocated. We rarely turn them on.

The new wall cabinets will have T-4 or T-5 slim fluorescent fixtures mounted to their bottoms and will be located behind lighting valences.

I'm wondering why using some surface-mounted T-8 fluorescent fixtures like the Philips Lightolier Belmont series wouldn't be preferable to installing a number of cans with LEDs in them. The Lightoliers look much better that the metal box with faux wood grain sides they will replace.

Comments?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lightolier Belmont T-8 Fluorescent

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

There are a variety of reasons why one would go with either a surface mount vs recessed cans such as
Pro
1. Cheaper installation costs than recessed cans.
2. Easier installation.
3. Small kitchen.

Cons
1. Recessed cans can be placed near or directly over work areas while the surface mount will invariably be located in the center of the room.
2. Some people find the styling of a T-8 fixture unappealing.
3. Most T-8 fixtures cannot be dimmed. Dimming Fluorescent fixtures are more expensive.

Alternatives - panel lights or the Cree CR24/CR14 troffers.

Bookmark   February 15, 2012 at 12:29PM
More Discussions
Anyone Recognize this Light Fixture?
I saw these wall fixtures in the Charleston Home +...
jkayepierce826
Light fixtures for cove lighting
Greetings, I am constructing cove lighting in a small...
impster
Outdoor pendant lights for tree
I'm looking to recreate something like this installation...
jamescmeehan
Questions re: installing a linear light fixture with a sloped ceiling
I'm interested in a chandelier from the Kichler Triad...
valpogal47
dining area lighting dilemma
We are building our retirement home, and have a large...
golfergirl29
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™