two ceiling lights in small entry?

SusanCFJanuary 30, 2012

We are remodeling and have enclosed an existing front porch to become a front entry to our home. The new entry space is 6 1/2 feet deep by 13 feet wide. The two doorways (from the front yard and into the living ) are at the right side of the entry.

Our architect designed this space with a single, centered, ceiling light. I was thinking that it would look better with two lights, each about 40" from its side wall. My thinking is that there would then be illumination (almost) directly both over the person entering or leaving, and also at the farther end of the space, where we will likely have plants or a decorative feature.

Whether we have one light or two, we are planning to have only one switch, with a dimmer.

Any comments? The architect says two lights may look crowded in this small area. I am thinking that two recessed lights would be less obtrusive than a single ceiling mounted fixture and that the light distribution will be better,but that's just a gut feeling. My husband is ducking out of this :-) and will go with what I recommend.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
David

Assuming that the lighting requirement is 20 lumens per sq ft, The area would need ~ 1700 lumens (rounded up from 1690).

Based on that number and assuming the use of either a Cree CR4 or CR6 (max advertised output of 575 lumens), you're looking at 3 to 4 cans since the dimmer will likely shave off 5% (~546 lumens).

Bookmark   February 4, 2012 at 2:22PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
SusanCF

Thanks for the reply. After talking to the contractor, we decided to go with two ceiling mounted but not recessed lights, to get a better spread of the light. We'll just have to choose very low-profile fixtures to avoid that crowded look.

Bookmark   February 5, 2012 at 12:39AM
More Discussions
Need help identifying chandelier
Hello, I recently saw a chandelier that I really liked,...
Sgreen
Is it ok to install ceiling lights in the slab itself?
I'm getting a new house built and trying to figure...
pursuitofhome
Disappointed with my LED recessed lights ... what now?
My LED recessed lights (Cree 6'' 2700K) were installed...
aussies
Entry light for awkward design
What should we do for a light at the front door? It...
sakami
Durable Outdoor Motion Sensor Light
I would like some recommendations on quality, durable...
happs
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™